Trek 5500 <14lbs for <$1400

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

craciunptr

by craciunptr

awesome bike dude ! i am building a similar project lurking on ebay for best deals :) got my extralite seatpost for 20$

dcj9

by dcj9

remarkable effort, considering the cost :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Thanks for the kind words dcj9, your 5200 build was one of my inspirations for this project.

nigel379

by nigel379

An easy way to drop almost 30 grams is to switch the chainring from the Salsa to a Sram 42t (tt) ring. I use it on my cross bike bc they are cheap and very light. With a chain catcher it doesn't matter that it is an inner ring. BTW nice build. Very unique.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Yes, that salsa ring was a bit heavy. I'm now running a 48t Stronglight ring but will probably switch to a double setup soon as I am am going to be racing this bike and don't want to get dropped on fast decents.

edesigner

by edesigner

New to the forum and I have to say that looks super sweet. I love the brakes. I will be giving my '98 Vortex a makeover for racing season next year. I might consider those.

Question and as a designer I couldn't help but ask. Since you found a Trek. Wouldn't it be cool to put a decal or two on it? Something vintage would look tight on that ride of yours. Occupational hazard so excuse my ocd on things like this. :)

Again very cool build!

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Do some STIs on them, won't be too much weight penalty but highly increase the comfort

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice build, and I like the honesty of pricing it all up and building a bike within a financial constraint.

Yes of course you must continue stripping off the unnecessary varnish and decals. A possible next step would be a fixed gear hillclimb bike, or going in the other direction to put back ergo shifting.

But at some point there is a trade-off between trading parts on ebay and other money creation options like working, so I'd not spend too much time on ebay unless it remains fun.