For once I agree with Lenard Zinn - Road disk shortcomings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maddog 2

by maddog 2

sounds like nonsense. Heat comes from braking, not 'riding', so discs will be much better in this respect.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The arguments are running around in circles as we all have little experience of disc brakes on bikes.

Salsa are bringing out disc brake frames. Enve forks are used on these. I think all the models in 2013 can be had with disc brakes. This one manufacturer who is commiting. I want a to try a Salsa now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

I had a Cannondale Cyclocross Disc back around 03-05, with BB7's. Phenominal braking compared to Road Brakes, worked awesome in the wet.

At the time I was about 105KG - Definitely good for those of us with larger frames. I never tried it on big hills though so no idea if they shed enough heat with prolonged use.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Salsa Colossal ti, ENVE tapered disc fork and 140/140 rotors. Quite nice.

nspace

by nspace

That looks like a pretty cool frame. Is Lynskey still manufacturing the frames for Salsa?

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Just spotted another disc-braked bike for 2013. Shame it's a dog. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Silverback Scalera Pro. The b@astard child of a BMC, a TT bike, a 80s horizontal top tube and a hideous headtube&fork combo, plus yellow stickers to top it off. My word.

roca rule

by roca rule

Maddog
Please take it off, my eyes.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Change the paint scheme and it would look better than you initially thought. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Musiker

by Musiker

I really can't understand how people are worried about disc's overheating.. I mean.. They are used on motobikes in roadracing - The brake forces on motobike is much greater than on any bike.. Granted if the disc brake is not designed for the forces at play - but I doubt it will add significantly to the weight in order to get a disc system that is much more safe than the current rim brakes..

However even though I would never go back to rim brakes on my MTB - I actually don't feel the need for disc's on my roadbike.. Maybe if I did a lot of mountain decending at high speeds, but I dont....

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Change the paint scheme and it would look better than you initially thought

I initially thought it looked utterly terrible, so you may be right.

boots2000

by boots2000

Just more stuff for consumers to consume.
My feeling about discs on road is this: Braking power is not your limiter on road bikes- the limiter is traction. Traction will give at a certain speed that is lower than when the brakes give. Also, discs add complexity and are not without problems. You gain a wheel where the sideway does not get worn away- but you will go through a set of disc pads on a really wet day.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Disc pads will always greatly outlast rim pads in equal circumstances.
As mentioned a thousand times, (and it still doesnt soak in,) its not about braking power. Its about control. With flexier systems, when you need to suddenly threshold brake, you hit the brakes with a medium amount of force and then increase that until youre at the limit. With better brakes like discs, once used to it, you can quickly apply a force closer to the ideal, then increase it as necessary. It saves precious meters into a corner or before the car door.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

thisisatest wrote:Disc pads will always greatly outlast rim pads in equal circumstances.
As mentioned a thousand times, (and it still doesnt soak in,) its not about braking power. Its about control. With flexier systems, when you need to suddenly threshold brake, you hit the brakes with a medium amount of force and then increase that until youre at the limit. With better brakes like discs, once used to it, you can quickly apply a force closer to the ideal, then increase it as necessary. It saves precious meters into a corner or before the car door.

Amen to that. Pads don't wear out on wet days like they do for CX/MTB applications. Mine are still going strong after many thousands of km

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Braking power is not your limiter on road bikes- the limiter is traction

This duff logic comes up time and time again. The limiting factor is not traction - the limiting factor is your ability to control what traction you do have. And discs are better at this, because they have better modulation, controllable power, consistency and reliability. Simples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm not sure chainging the paint on the silverback helps. It is not a elegent design.