lowest external headset question/help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

artray

by artray

Can someone tell me the lowest external headset I can use for my trek 5900 [ year 2004] I really like to slam my stem and want to get it as low possible any help/ links would be appreciated
cheers artray

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

I was in the same predicament and by using the search on WW I found the lowest ones are

Cane creek AER (mixed opinions about this one, as it does not have ball bearings in the upper "race")
Tune Bobo
Extralite TheHead2 at 20.5mm (seemed like the most reasonable headset)

See thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45737

artray

by artray

Thank You :thumbup:

KB

by KB

On my Winter I tried the AER, but just couldn't get along with it; it didn't feel right (a bit stiff). I now have the Extralite and it's excellent, i.e., how a headset should feel. And of course they are very light. The Tune Bobo I've not tried, but most of the guys riding Baum's have them.

artray

by artray

Cheers KB :thumbup: . I was inclined to go with the AER . Does the extralight look just as slammed as the AER ? A few people have said the same thing about the AER .

KB

by KB

I will try and get a pic tomorrow of the Extralite, it's at my LBS. The AER you can see on my Winter, which is posted on here somewhere. You can then judge.

artray

by artray

Thanks KB , I will check it out :beerchug:

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Campagnolo Record - about 24mm if I remember correctly

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The smallest that I've ever known of was from a U.S. company called star. It was a stainless external available in 1 or 1 1/8 inch threadless. Total stack was 19mm with 10mm being the lower and 9mm being the upper. Unfortunately they are getting hard to find but they do still pop up on ebay. Not only were they the lowest, but also one the best looking I've ever seen.

artray

by artray

Thanks madcow . Sounds Intriguing, challenge accepted .I will have a go at finding one .

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

There is currently a threaded 1" on ebay and I have a 1" threadless in my collection, but neither will help you. However this might, the last I heard Dave Bohm at Bohemian cycles had a couple you might email him and see if he still has one. http://www.bohemianbicycles.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

Crank Bros. headsets are 20,6mm. stack in total. The lowest stack og any current headset I could find.

artray

by artray

Thanks madcow. I have sent a mail to Dave so fingers crossed . I will keep you posted . :beerchug:

:beerchug: Ravnsnaes

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I would be tempted to forego 1.5 mm savings, go with a new headset that has a warranty and just bend my elbows...

artray

by artray

I like an adventure :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com