Stem creaks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

logy

by logy

Anyone know why a Tune stem would need frequent degreasing to stop it being noisy? Ti bolts must be greased regularly to sop the annoying creaks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Sure it's your stem? A mate of mine had what you describe, but eventually found out it was headset bearings. Every time he would lean the bike from side to side applying pressure there would be a clicking / crunching noise. Eventually his headset completely seized up. Just letting you know incase you want to get it checked out.

logy

by logy

Havinggreased the stem bolts again creak has gone but this is not ideal

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Seems strange that you would need to continually grease the bolts.
Do you ride in the rain?
Did you torque the bolts to spec?
Do you use waterproof grease?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

logy

by logy

Yes to all the above but only occasionally ride in the rain.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Make sure you have a good front wheel quick release and that it is snug. They can often be the source of front end creaking and few think to look there. I know I spent the better part of three months checking and changing components and finding that a 1/4 turn snugger on the qr solved all my problems!!!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

logy wrote:Yes to all the above but only occasionally ride in the rain.

Then it can't possibly be the stem unless it's cracked. Think about it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The bolts may not be tight enough. Or they might be too tight. If you have used a torque wrench each time to tighten up but the problem recurs, dispense with it for this job.

I don't use plain assembly grease with ti bolts, or for that matter any type of bolt, instead preferring an anti-seize assembly lube from Finish Line.

If the forks have a glued-on steerer, ie. not a monocoque carbon fork, that could be your problem. Carbon blades glued to an alloy steerer can make a lot of creaking sounds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Other possibilities can be:

1. Handle bars - clean them up -check for cracks possibly
2, Head set - clean and repack with grease
3. Front skewer as mentioned
4. cleats
5. bottom bracket
6. I'm grasping at straws. :lol: