50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Here is Johnsons email addy:

sales3@farsports.cn

Send him an email, he will direct you properly.

Here is the website:

http://www.farsports.cn/Default.aspx
More than 10 years a Weenie!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ychornet

by ychornet

Hi,

I have a damaged reynolds assault rear wheel and I want to recover it by replacing the rim with a FSL50 CM.

Can I use the same spokes and nipples with the new rim? And is there any washer should I order for using the same inner nipples from assault?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nipples yes, spokes probably not; the new rim may have a different ERD and you will need to calculate for the new spoke length.
If you're lucky, the spoke length will be the same as you've got.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ychornet

by ychornet

Thanks.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Hey guys I just got a tubular pair of these and I'm wondering if those of you who have build these up have used nipple washers? If yes any recommendations?

loco2546

by loco2546

thinking about ordering a pair of these wheels ...! my caad is almost perfect ... it just needs deep profile wheels . :D

addictR1

by addictR1

this wheelset looks very promising... great initial reviews on it. has anyone posted up some in depth reviews after some serious mileage and harsh punishment?

i wonder how these holds up.. hate to be rolling downhill and something happens...

eric

by eric

I've abused my 50mm Farsports on some awful descents. Did Mt Hamilton RR earlier this year. That descent is the steepest most technical one I have done in a race. It's 4.4 miles with 2000' elevation loss, with many tight turns and a cattle grate. There are always multiple crashes on it. My group wound up getting held up by a support vehicle for an earlier field who would not pull over. As a result I did more braking than I would normally do on this descent. The front rim was getting noisy by the bottom so I could tell it was getting hot but the rim stayed straight and it's no worse for the experience.

More recently I did a road race in the eastern Sierras that included a 6000' climb. The descent was hairy- steep and windy, on a road with a sheer dropoff and random rocks strewn about. On the tailwind section I was sitting up and braking and still hit 45 mph. Other than getting blown around a lot the wheels were fine.

The one drawback to these rims is that they're blown around by side winds. The other rims I've ridden are similar depth V-shaped Reynolds and they're about the same in that regard. But more modern U-shaped profiles might do better.

addictR1

by addictR1

hi eric.. that's awesome to hear considering i live south SJ, but no guts to climb mt. hamilton.. if i did, i'd probably be the one rolling off the hill. :lol:

it's good to hear about the crosswind. right one i have one an old pair of velocity aeroheads and going downhill, i get quite a bit of crosswind, so i was hoping maybe going with something like a CF rim would be better. or should i be looking at the farsport FSC20-TM so it will have less drag?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Hey addict, those figures eric gave are for the far (Livermore) side of Mt. Hamilton. It's not nearly as steep on the San Jose side. And if you're not used to climbing, you can just start climbing, and turn around if/when you get wasted. If you do so before the first descent (on the way up), then you can guarantee no more climbing to make it back. When you get in better climbing shape, go up to the top, refill your water, use the rest room facilities, buy an astronomical postcard, and head back the same way you came up. When that gets too boring, then venture down the far side and head to Livermore, as does the Mt. Hamilton Road Race (but that doesn't take the little detour to go up to the Observatory/Visitor Center at the very top, as it stays on the main road instead).

eric

by eric

The 20mm rims have more aero drag but are blown around by cross winds less than the 50mm rims. I have a set of Farsports' similar 24mm deep tubulars. Their braking is better than the 50mm clinchers (which may be individual variability, or due to the tubular shape being easier to make straight). The wheels are surprisingly stiff for such light rims. I use them for uphill races.

But they're tubulars not clinchers so you get to deal with the hassles (or joys) of tubular tires.

Aeroheads aren't very deep, in fact they have a similar shape to the 24mm tubular rims. If you don't like how those get blown around you'd really hate the 50mm deep rims in the wind.

I ride on Hamilton often, usually doing repeats of various sections because just once isn't enough. The steepest section on the San Jose side is about 6% while the east side is more like 10% for the steepest parts. HammerTime's advice is right on. Hamilton is a good intro to big climbs. The only things to watch out for are rocks and sand in the road on the descents, and the road is a little bumpy.

addictR1

by addictR1

hammertime2: thanks for the kind words of encouragement. i've been training myself to climb and with the addictr1, it's really fun actually compared to my old 20lb bike. the wheelset i have on now is really weighing it down so mines is at 17lbs. i try to ride daily during lunch in milpitas, going up from park victoria heading north and turning right on scott creek rd up the avalons. either that or i will go up country club drive towards summit point golf course.. but only able to make it a little bit above 1/3 of the way. but i won't give up.. i'll conquer that country club ride one of these days. then i can try the mt. hamilton! :)

eric: awesome.. that's good to hear. yea i didn't notice it till you pointed out the tubulars. personally i like clinchers, easy to replace and patch up during a ride. but very hard to find a clincher that is lightweight, so that's why i was very intrigued about this 50cm one. i just wonder how big of a crosswind issue will i have with the 50cm? i'm no racer by any means.. but would like some carbon wheels to lighten the addict so i can climb up so more.. inch by inch... :)

rui

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It is possible to climb Mt.Hamilton on a 17 pound bike. The first 6 times I climbed it 30 years ago, I was on a 23 pound bike. My P.R. was on a ~ 20 pound bike. I'm much slower now on a sub-14 pound bike than I was back in the day on a 20 pound bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

HammerTime2 wrote:It is possible to climb Mt.Hamilton on a 17 pound bike. The first 6 times I climbed it 30 years ago, I was on a 23 pound bike. My P.R. was on a ~ 20 pound bike. I'm much slower now on a sub-14 pound bike than I was back in the day on a 20 pound bike.

well, one of these days I will try to get up there. When I'm suffering in the climb I notice I keep looking at the rear cassette to see how many I have left... :lol:

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I am looking at getting the 38MM Version of this Clinchers from FarSports, they come in at 1250 grames, which seems to be pretty light/cheap to me, any users on here? reports? They use the same spokes hubs as the 50MM version, so the weight saving is solely in the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com