2012 force vs 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

welkman

by welkman

Hi Guys,

I have looked online for a comparison of the 2012 to 2013 force and cannot seem to get a decent breakdown including weights of the gpx groups.

Do you think it is worth waiting for 4 months to get hold of the 2013 force groupset for my build, or should I just go for the 2012 group? I can get the 2012 group for £670 currently. This is for a build for my wife and she is quite keen to get the new bike on the road. I have everything else but the groupset.

Cheers

topflightpro

by topflightpro

If your wife wants to get her new bike going, I say go ahead and get the existing Force group.

The changes they are making are pretty minor. It looks like they are putting the Red Black chainrings on the Force crankset and giving the Zero Loss to the left shifter - it's already on the right shifter.

I like the Zero loss on my Red shifters, but not having it on my Force shifters has not been a huge deal. It's only noticeable because I have both. My wife, who has only ridden Force and Shimano stuff but not Red, thinks the Force front shifting is fine.

And I doubt your wife will be flexing the current Force chainrings enough to really worry about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welkman

by welkman

being 5ft2in and 8 stone flex is not an issue. Will there be much difference in weight between 2012 and 2013?

wasabi1

by wasabi1

The new force looks very similar to the old red to my eyes.

Lighter, stiffer crank. Zero loss levers.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

^this. Seems to me that they just relabeled old red as new force

Imaking20

by Imaking20

And the current Force is awesome itself. If you're happy with the price, buy it.

109er

by 109er

there should be no price difference between new force and old force. unless old force is on sale. new force comes with old sram red chainrings, zero loss and i believe a 5 gram weight savings. everything else is the same.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

istigatrice

by istigatrice

are the shifter ergonomics any different? or is it just 2011 red sold with a force sticker?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

system787

by system787

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... 00x371.jpg

Shifters (and everything but the chainrings) appear to be the same

welkman

by welkman

Brilliant, thanks for your help guys.

Getter

by Getter

Nice...kind of like rebranding of the old Red. Makes Force an even better value.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

any idea on weight? is it only the chainrings that are changed or have they changed the cranks too?

So the changes I know of are:
-Zero Loss Shifters
-Chainring stiffness

Anything else?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Dimitri

by Dimitri

we were mailed a flyer from (one of) the aussie suppliers. looks like red chain rings and shifter internals to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com