Trek Domane 5.2 2013 | 6.95kg (update P2)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I was looking for a more comfortable ride then my Stevens SLC, that was a stiff but very hard ride. When Trek released their Domane i wanted to try one, and after trying i wanted to buy one! The 6 serie is a bit too expensive so i will try to make it a light 5 series without spending big amounts of money. I'm happy with a bike that weighs around 7kg.

So this is the Domane as he came in, it was the triple version because the compact isnt available at this moment. Was going to change to Sram Force anyhow so that didnt really matter. I'm now waiting for the last piece of the Sram Force to come in so the conversion to Sram should be ready in a few days.

These Bontrager wheels i will use for the winter but i have a set Dura Ace c24 for this time of the year. Still need a longer seatpost (a black one) and the handlebars have to come down with at least 4 cm's. So he is far from finished but i already wanted to show him to you all. Standard he weighs 7.7kg

Last edited by MisterNoChain on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

foofighter14

by foofighter14

any updates? or news on how it rides?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

As said switched Ultegra to Force. The heavy Bontrager wheels changed for my Dura Ace c24.
The seatpost should have been in by now, but the delivery is postponed to the beginning of September :evil:. The fork will be cut when i'm 100% sure about my position so that will be when the seatpost is in. Black seatpost and no totem up front will be much better for the looks.
I was going to wait for my next update till i had the bike weighed, still need to do it with this setup but havent got my own scale. Going to buy one soon, i promise!

The bike feels much stiffer then my Stevens SLC and the Isospeed decoupler absorbs shocks really well. So no loss of performance and a much more comfortable ride, what do i need more on the flemish roads? This bike is build for the cobblestones but i must say the biggest difference is on bad roads. Riding cobblestone is never a pleasant ride :P

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Looks good! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up. Does anyone know what the frame weight is on these??

EDIT: Found claimed weight of 1050g for a 56.....still interested in the actual.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Finally my scale arrived, 7.135kg as pictured above. (still with the spacertower :) )

kevindhoffman

by kevindhoffman

How has the Domane been with SRAM? I am about to place an order for Domain 5.2 with SRAM Force. I might get the Red shifters.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Of course i had tried the Sram doubletap before but you only get to know a groupset by trying it for a longer periode. I was a bit afraid in the beginning that it wouldnt be worth switching from Ultegra to Force, but i havent regret it for a second.
I got used to the doubletap much faster then i expected, the shifting is faster and more precise, and i like the harder feel of the shifting. The force group looks beautiful as well.

I have the bike for a month now and i must say it's the best ride i ever had. Real racers will go for the Madone, but for 95% of the people the Domane is the better choice. Definitely here on the Flemish roads i see no reason for a simple rider like me to go for the Madone. Its still the beginning of the Domane series, but i would be surprised if this doesnt become a bestseller.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I had the opportunity to inspect the Domane first hand the other day. Till then I had only read about them. Was fascinated by how much flex they get throughout the entire seat tube with their new system. Didn't ride it but really like what Trek is doing. And I've always liked their geometries and size choices.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kevindhoffman

by kevindhoffman

Well, I placed my order yesterday!! Super excited. Will be about a week until it's ready....will be riding my Fuji CrossComp with a sense of nostalgia for the next few days.

I went with SRAM Force. I had been considering Red, but a lot of folks advised me to save the $1K and in the future put it into a wheelset. I know with computers I always advise folks to put any extra $$$ into RAM, so it appealed to me as a way to understand where to spend extra $$$. Something more easily changed too.

I am in the same boat...a frequent rider, 3-4 times a week, but not a racer. I go on a lot of roads that are paved yet not pristine so the ISOspeed really appeals to me. As for racing, friend has the Madone, but I just don't need that level of performance. The Domane seems like it will be the perfect fit for my level and an earned upgrade after years of pushing steel around thousands of miles.

I'll update the post after my first ride.

Giddy....

kevindhoffman

by kevindhoffman

Pedals??

I am now in the market for pedals. Any recommendations?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Great :thumbup:. Cant imagine you will not like it.

Look, Shimano, ... they all made decent pedals. I've always had Look, so never had any reason to change to another brand. I now have the Look Keo CarbonTi, 198gr for a pair.

My seatpost finally arrived, the fork will be cut this weekend. So then the bike should be finished (as long as a bike ever is finished :P). And then i'll post a speclist. I'm a bad ww, didnt weigh all the parts i placed on the bike :sorry:

kevindhoffman

by kevindhoffman

I think I stumbled upon the ww group...took me a bit to realize this forum is all about grams!!

I'm leaning toward the Look Keo Max. Given my level, and what I'm coming from, it's a huge improvement but not over the top $$$.

Definitely want to see pics.

I will post pics tonight, I pick up my bike in three hours...well two hours and 54 minutes.... 53 minutes...

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Oh yes, one thing you will not like ... the wheels. Bontrager wheels have got a bad reputation, and these wheels are not different. Took me just 100km before i had a swipe (is that the correct english term :)?) in my wheel that rubbed against the brakepads.

kevindhoffman

by kevindhoffman

Absolutely CRUSHED old best by over 10 minutes. New best time with my new ride!!

I'm slow in this hilly area, but my capabilities didn't change, only the bike. Huge difference. Stunned actually.

Finished Cycle: Sep 8, 2012, 8:37:07 AM
Route: Farmland
Google Maps URL: http://maps.google.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2F ... 8-0641.kml
Import URL: http://share.abvio.com/571b/050b/4f73/e ... 8-0641.kml
Ride Time: 1:45:16
Distance: 26.78 miles
Average: 15.27 mph
Fastest Speed: 40.86 mph
Ahead of Best Ride: 10:59

http://www.cyclemeter.com/

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

At this moment my bike is in winter-setup, meaning the Bontrager wheels are back in. They weigh a whooping 1813 grams :|. Probably going to sell my tubulars and buy a set Chinese clinchers. Farsports 38mm is a good candidate, also saw a wheelset of Dengfu, 20mm.

First some pictures: cables are shortened, fork is at the correct length, black seatpost.

Here are some weights of the build-up right now, it's incomplete, didnt weigh fork, frame ... but should already give a glimp on where i could shed some grams. (C= claimed, A=Actual)

Cassette: Sram Force 245 (A)
Crank: Sram Force 693 (A)
Chain: Sram 1071 259 (C)
Shifters: Sram Force 302 (C)
Rear Derailleur: Sram Force 173 (C)
Front Derailleur: Sram Force 88 (C)
Brakes: Sram Force 280 (C)
Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite 116 (C)
Handlebar: Bontrager Race Lite 328 (C)
Wheels: Bontrager Race Front 734 (A)
Bontrager Race Rear 1079 (A)
Tires: Bontrager R3 208 (x2) (A)
Innertubes: Bontrager 82 (x2) (A)
Pedals: Look Keo CarbonTi 198 (A)
Skewers: Bontrager 140 (A)
Bottle cage: Elite custom 43 (x2) (A)
Cadans sensor: Duotrap Sensor 26 (A)
Seatpost: Seatmast Trek 148 (A)
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 239 (A)

Total weight: 7640 gram

Thanks to the bontrager wheels the total looks massive at this moment. But with the Farsports 38 mm and some KCNC skewers (already bought them) the weight would come down to around 7kg. My goal is 6,8kg without to much costs (except for the wheels). I hope we can get there :P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com