Where to go in the northern Alps ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

I am planning to go road biking it the northern Alps for a few days next summer. I will bring my wife and I will go by car from Stockholm.

The most northern Alps with great small roads with less traffic and with a nice calm village, with great restaurants to live in. A comfy hotel with a pool maybe...

Any suggestions ? ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

My recommendation would be to stay near Salzburg in Austria. From there you can ride in and along the hills on the northern border of the alps, with nice lakes in the Salzkammergut region, and the harder passes are not very far either. And you'll find a selection of restaurants in the (small) city. If you have a GPS you can quite easily find your way around quiet sideroads.

PSM

by PSM

:beerchug:

PSM

by PSM

What do you guys think about this:

http://www.tripadvisor.se/Hotel_Review- ... tyria.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrfish

by mrfish

I would not stress too much about it. I recently moved to Switzerland, and if you come from flat greenish countryside, then anywhere mountainous will make a nice change. And the other thing is that the Alps are not all that deep, so 3 hours very brisk driving gets you from Zurich (not really alps) to the Stelvio (dolomites).

Where to go depends on what you want to do and how far you want to drive.

If you want to tick off some classic road passes then somewhere like Interlaken might be nice. Or to ride on some roads which are absolutely beautiful but not heard of by anyone and do less driving you might stick with the Black Forest. Somewhere in between is Central Switzerland. If the latter you could stay somewhere like Einsiedeln, which gives you watersport options for the family, flat roads round the Sihlsee or other lakes plus lots of climbs ranging from the Pragelpass, Ibergeregg, Sattelegg which offer 10km at 10% or so, or you can ride up the Rigi if you wish to emulate recent Vuelta stages.

Check out http://www.quaeldich.de/ for ideas on climbs in each location - there is a map function there with all the passes / climbs in the locality highlighted. Very easy to make up leg-breaking rides that way ;-)

PSM

by PSM

Ok thanks. Stressed? I have like 10 mts so... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com