Which crank should I buy ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wadl

by Wadl

Hi,
I have a UD carbon bike with full Dura-ace 7800 on it. I would like to change the crank to something compact with a 12-23 cassette.

For now, my first choice is the Fulcrum RS which would fit my bike just right and I think it looks really good.

While looking for info, with the forum search, I found people saying (to others) to buy the red crank with after market ring (like Stronglight CT2 5-Arm/110mm Road Chainring - 2011).

Basicaly, I would like some compact UD carbon crank that don't cost more than 400$ and light (well lighter than my 7800) and that look good.

What would you guys do if you were me ?
Is there any other option that I didn't see ?
and if you tell me to go with some aftermarket ring, is it possible to buy only the crank arms ?

Thank you guys.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Some of the fsa cranks are ud carbon and chainring choices are infinitely available. Also try SRAM; force and red both have ud carbon cranks, and they will be compatible with your shimano group.

Forget campag; although the high end ones are ud carbon, no amount of fiddling will get them to work correctly with shimano indexing.
Make well sure that the manufacturer states the crank is compatible with your group.

While the big brands may be the obvious choice, some of them make cranks under the name of complete bike manufacturers. I.e. zipp for cannondale, fsa for bianchi etc.

Definately take a look at used items on eBay, but do yourself a favour and don't fall for £100 fsa copies from Taiwan. Best of luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

You may not be able to find crank arms on their own unless it is a second-hand item, the manufacturer will want you to buy their chainrings as well.

The upside is that you get the exact choice of chainring hat is right for you. I would recommend praxis chainrings if you have the coins to spare.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If Praxis are out of youre budget TA do rings for all BCD and in all teeth counts (praxis is limited), they are also light and hard wearing and look good.

As for cranks FSA Sl-K or K-force light kick the boxes for me, maybe for you. Plenty about second hand as well.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

"Forget campag; although the high end ones are ud carbon, no amount of fiddling will get them to work correctly with shimano indexing."

Maybe I misunderstand, but I use a compact Campy 11-spd SR UT crank w/ Shimano DA-7900 derailleurs and shifters (KMC chain & various cassettes: DA, KCNC, Omniracer/Token) and it shifts fine. Before I switched out the DA-7900 crank for the Campy in order to cut 100+ grams and improve looks (IMO), I queried this forum if it would work and everyone said it would w/no problem, which has proven the case. I suspect you can get them in like-new/used condition in your price range, too. Not sure how it would work w/DA-7800, though...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Wadl

by Wadl

I don't really wanna buy used.

So, a red crank (previous or new model?) Would be a good option? If I can, install some after market ring.

Would there be other option?

What about the fulcrum rs?

I don't wan't too go with pure campy 11s though.

Wadl

by Wadl

About the fsa crank, I hear too many horror story about them. I don't wan't any creaks or loosening :)

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Hi!

Don;t buy FSA cranks, they are crap.

Fulcrum is fine, and so too is Campagnolo - they are identical except for graphics. There is no problem using a Campy crank with shimano drivetrain, other than aesthetic.

There are about 5 Campy options under $400, and one Fulcrum one around there.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

How about the K force? See a lot of those in the peloton......

Wadl

by Wadl

Well the k-force are very cheap on chain reaction these days. But are they really good?

There are the fulcrum r and rs that are in my price range. The old red too and if you really push me into it, the new red are in my range too.

fa63

by fa63

This could happen to you if you buy FSA cranks:

:D

Wadl

by Wadl

Outch!!!

Forget fsa ;)

Snicks

by Snicks

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730

^ have a look at come of the comments on that post, there are some extremely good review coming about of the new red crank, and if you mate it with something like praxis rings you could get it to be lighter than a LOT of the more standard cranks out there. Even if you don't you can get the crankset for about 400 and could upgrade the rings later? This is what I'm going to do for sure.

Wadl

by Wadl

Snicks wrote:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ have a look at come of the comments on that post, there are some extremely good review coming about of the new red crank, and if you mate it with something like praxis rings you could get it to be lighter than a LOT of the more standard cranks out there. Even if you don't you can get the crankset for about 400 and could upgrade the rings later? This is what I'm going to do for sure.

So, right now, my best choice would be to get a 2012 red crank and update the ring to stronglight or praxis (later).

For the look, the new red would be nice, here is a pic of my bike:

would there be any other crank I am forgetting ?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but I am pretty new in the bike world, but, to replace my 7800 crank and bb, the red crank I have to buy is the GXP model right ? and which bb should I buy ?

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Red runs on a GXP system so you'd need a GXP BB. Sram do them. Hope and CK do converters so you can use their BBs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com