Campagnolo EPS Super Record Titanium Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jameskack

by jameskack

Hi All,

I have just purchased the EPS Super Record Titanium groupset and have had a number of issues in the first week:

1. A lot of chain slap which would have caused considerable damage to the chainstay but i mounted a guard from the start.

2. Had a case of chain suck where the chain on move from 39 -> 53 got stuck between rings causing considerable damage to the frame (chain stay) right down to the carbon fibre, all paint gone :(

3. Have had problems on a few training spins where the gearing doesnt change after selection, hitting the button again and the chain will jump two gears at once.

4. Have had the white light come on, on the power unit which indicates a power unit fault. According to Campagnolo this can be reset once and if it comes on again i will have to look for service under warrenty. (This actually reminds of the X-Box red ring of death which i have also had this summer)

ALL THIS IN THE FIRST WEEK :(

Some background : I am in my 30th season of racing, i have a Lapierre x-lite 999 with campagnolo c-record on it from 2005, the frame is still immaculate, never had a problem with chain suck before.

The new EPS is mounted and adjusted professionally on a brand new Colnago C59.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I was considering staying with the mechanical groupset for this particular reason that at least if anything happened i could fix it myself or swap out a part without having to leave it in and be without. Starting to regret my decision of going for the EPS system now.

A very unhappy James

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Who set up, and adjusted it? There gear skipping sounds like maladjustment. I would take the chain off and reset the derailleurs myself. Campagnolo's instructions are pretty detailed, http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9E4C2AA8EE208DE

If you follow those and it's still playing up then at least you can be a lot more certain you may have a faulty unit somewhere?

jameskack

by jameskack

Its set up correctly alright, i've checked it. I used to work as a bike mechanic myself so this was the first thing i did. Selecting gear change on occasion has no effect on rear-mech until another selection is made it then changes gear twice.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Then I would get the shop to RMA the electronic parts, or have them try a different battery/brain and head unit with the shifters and derailleurs?

natiedean24

by natiedean24

jameskack wrote:Hi All,

The new EPS is mounted and adjusted professionally on a brand new Colnago C59.

This is probably your problem. Don't trust the professionals to actually read the instructions and set it all up properly.

Herb99

by Herb99

Yes, that´s right ! I use 2 Record EPS for about 3 months and booth works excellent .
Self adjusted !

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I have never personally owned EPS, but I was at the LBS recently and heard something interesting. The techs there were having an issue with the main CPU. They said that they would get the drivetrain adjusted perfectly in the stand. Then, after the bike left the shop (and after being ridden for 20 minutes or so) the shifters would stop corresponding with the CPU. The unit would either stop shifting entirely, or it would delay and end up skipping multiple gears, similar to what your experiencing.

They called Campy and got a new CPU under warranty. You may want to consider doing the same.
Best of luck on getting this issue fixed!

-Roland

scb

by scb

My SR EPS is working perfectly-absolutely no issues at all.

sharkman

by sharkman

Done three installs with eps so far and can't fault it. Eps is built well and when it comes to function it definitely is on parr with Dura Ace DI-2 (but I'm no pro and read the manuals first :-)

jameskack

by jameskack

Have had an update from a few different sources, including a few bike stores that have fitted the EPS kit. Apparently there have been a few of these particular issues with the EPS system, it has been sent back to Campagnolo who have made adjustments. I know what mine was. Campagnolo have refused to detail the correction they made to the system to the bike store but it worked perfectly on return.

I smell a cover-up on a system that was probably released to market just a tad too early.

cnbky

by cnbky

scb wrote:My SR EPS is working perfectly-absolutely no issues at all.

not a contribution.

Does EPS have a diagnostics tool like the di2? i know that spotted where my di2 was malfunctioning.

jameskack

by jameskack

Im sure that they do, although i dont know but i would be surprised if they dont.

In the end i was getting the white light on power unit which indicated a power unit failure and it would fail to shift gear when engaged, when engaged a second time it would jump two gears. This only started happening a few weeks after the initial chain jam.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Sorry to digress from the topic a little, but with regards to the chain suck the OP experienced, I'm surprised at the lack of products on the market for this issue? I'm running SR-11 mechanical and have two or three chain suck issues (due to maladjustment and chain wear). The problem is very rare in my experience, but the damage to a frame can be disastrous if not protected. After a long search, I found a couple of frame companies make their own, proprietary chain stay protectors, which I coerced to fit my frame.

Most people equate chain suck with dropping a chain (chain catcher), totally different situations. Only a few LBS's knew what I was talking about while I was still searching for one-scary! I finally contacted K-Edge for a solution, but no such luck. I think it's an overdue issue that needs a solution to protect our expensive frames from a freak chain suck occurrence.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm running SR-11 mechanical and have two or three chain suck issues (due to maladjustment and chain wear)

It really takes extremely excessive wear for chain suck to occur.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Agree - chain and chainring wear....

I also seem to recall that another major culprit was shifting from large chainring to small without letting off enough on the power to the pedals......it tended to happen to mountain bikers more when they'd come across an unexpected need to shift down but did so hurredly and while struggling to keep moving (meaning still putting a lot of pressure on the pedals).