Braze-On Extender/Adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tdudzik

by tdudzik

The new 2012 Sram red front derailleur only has one mounting hole, unlike the old models which had two. Because of this, I can't get it low enough on my Cervelo S5 to be able to work with the chainring i have on there now (45t). Is there such a thing as an extender or adapter for this reason? I can barely get away with using a rival der. on the lowest setting.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Never seen one but surely a machine shop could knock on up quickly an d cheaply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

gotta ask- cervelo s5 with a 45t? junior?
if i was going to go to a machine shop to have an extender made, i would just ask them to make a revised front derailleur mount altogether. the one on the s5 bolts on.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Knock the existing bracket off with a lump hammer, and fit a clamp-on front mech.

What monkeys made your frame? Contact them and explain to them that some of us who ride bikes are not pro's, live in mountainous areas, or are juniors and have to, by default, use a small outer chainring.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Kidding... Right?
Just in case youre not, the mount is bolted on, hammer not needed. S5 seat tube is about as non-round as it gets too.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Yes, junior.

I called both the shop and Cervelo themselves, no such thing. Clamp-on is not an option for this frame. I might be able to get away with it if my FD had two mounting holes, but of course Sram with their new Red decided to put only one. :noidea:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Just run the old force and call it a day then.

Camilo

by Camilo

Yea, use an old red steel, or a force FD. I've heard good things about the new Yaw type Red FD, but my '10 or '11 Force FD shifts absolutely perfectly with my compact, couldn't be happier. Add a chain catcher if you want (I did), and you have a FD that is about the same as the new REd in function.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

I'd get a metal shop to make you a new mount for the front derailleur, the bolt on area can then extend further down the frame for your smaller chainring. Personally, I wouldn't take any chances with your expensive SRAM fd. Alternatively, you may be able to buy a new mounting plate online.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I'm reading through all these suggestions to fashion a braze on hanger, but using an old Force or Red steel FD is going to be the most inexpensive and quickest way to deal with your FD. At the junior level the weight savings are negligible unless the kid is a couple seconds off from hitting the podium.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

It's more of the fact that I already bought the FD not knowing i'd have this problem :?

To be honest even with the older sram FD it still is a lot higher than it should be, but at least it isnt rubbing against the bottom of the cage...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com