Ridley Damocles or Excalibur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SGcyclist

by SGcyclist

Greetings! I've lurked here for years and respect the opinion of forum members here.

I'm a former CAT 2 but don't intend to race anymore other than the occasional road race if the mood suits me. I ran college track and can dunk a basketball at only 175cm so I feel like I can generate some torque.

I'm having a baby soon so this will be my only bike. I need it to be comfortable on long 6 hour rides (when the wife allows) as well my local "niter".

I'm not fond of overly twitchy bikes or stiff bikes. I grew up riding steel and favor a frame that has some spring but is not noodly, especially at the front end. I used to have a Peg Marcelo and that has been my benchmark every time I test frames. I live overseas where brands are limited so I will not be able to test either frame.

Most of the forums I frequent (mostly frame builder-centric) really have good things to say about the Damocles so I'm trying get as much info on the Excalibur as possible.

The size will be XS and the ability to wear at least 25c tires would be ideal. I will probably be putting Ultegra or Chorus on the bike and using my old Carbones.

I have considered other brands but have narrowed it down to these two. If I had it my way I'd get a Parlee but the wife wants a fancy stroller :)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

SGcyclist wrote: I need it to be comfortable on long 6 hour rides (when the wife allows) as well my local "niter".

I'm not fond of overly twitchy bikes or stiff bikes.

Rules the Damo out straight off really, and i suspect any other Ridley. You'll have no teeth after a few hours...
From what i've read on Parlee's, they go the other way

SGcyclist wrote:The size will be XS and the ability to wear at least 25c tires would be ideal. I will probably be putting Ultegra or Chorus on the bike and using my old Carbones.

I have considered other brands but have narrowed it down to these two. If I had it my way I'd get a Parlee but the wife wants a fancy stroller :)

There's not much clearance for a 23 on a damo, nevermind a 25

Build quality seems a bit hit and miss with Ridley. A friends had 2 damo's - 1 was good , the other poor
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SGcyclist

by SGcyclist

jekyll man wrote:
SGcyclist wrote: I need it to be comfortable on long 6 hour rides (when the wife allows) as well my local "niter".

I'm not fond of overly twitchy bikes or stiff bikes.

Rules the Damo out straight off really, and i suspect any other Ridley. You'll have no teeth after a few hours...
From what i've read on Parlee's, they go the other way

SGcyclist wrote:The size will be XS and the ability to wear at least 25c tires would be ideal. I will probably be putting Ultegra or Chorus on the bike and using my old Carbones.

There's not much clearance for a 23 on a damo, nevermind a 25

Build quality seems a bit hit and miss with Ridley. A friends had 2 damo's - 1 was good , the other poor

I raced mainly on an aluminum BMC Streetfire with ksyrium sls and that was was a teeth rattler on anything other than glass smooth roads, but I was able to deal with it. I'm hoping the Ridleys would be better, though I realize stiffness is a very subjective topic. I'm planning to order from Competitive Cyclist and with their awesome return policy that gives me some peace of mind.