My WW build list - please critique!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I would also like to know why you say to avoid the Ti version of the SR crank. I have both and notice no difference from a performance perspective. I agree that you're probably paying a lot for a few grams saving and a red circle on the outside, but is there any other reason other than that you are saying to avoid it? Other brands aside for a moment.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I wasn't saying that one should avoid the SR ti crank, my comment on the Ti crank was in response to this:

RedRacer wrote:
I seriously considered the THM M3 but from what I can see it only saves ~40g over the Super Record Ti and likely isn't as stiff or easy to set-up, plus I doubt it is as durable. Reviews also suggest the SR has nicer bearings. Oh, and the SR has a lower Q-factor...

I don't dislike the Campag crank, it's just that the ti version didn't test as stiff as the Thm when we tested them. So to dismiss the Thm based on it not being as stiff is not correct. The Thm is stiffer, about 50 grams lighter and almost the same price. For a build like this it makes sense as an option. As for the rest of that statement, the cult bearings are indeed some of the finest bearings available and I think it fair to say SR has nicer bearings than Thm. As for setup, neither one is difficult. Durability, I can't really say as I've never seen an issue with the SR or the M3. Small difference in Q-factor as I mentioned shouldn't be an issue for a bigger guy either. Stiffness is not too far apart, so it comes down to one being lighter and one having better bearings. Of course probably the biggest factor in choosing one would be the aesthetics.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Why the M3 version of Clavicula and not the std one. I know the M3 has the seperate spider and the std doesn't. But it is not often you need to change the spider anywyas.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I see now. From your post it seemed like you were saying you would avoid the Ti version of SR in favor of the all steel version of SR, as if to say there was some issues with the Ti version (which would be unknown to me) and not the steel version. But I see now that was not the case. Thanks for clarifying.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I normally don't reply to threads like this, but your post caught my attention because of two things, being 95kgs, and also the mention of bunny hopping. You don't usually see those two things together.

Lucky for me that I included this info :P When I see a pothole or curb I prefer to fly over it rather than around.

Frame: Custom Ti --- To get a ti frame stiff enough for you it will be significantly heavier than a carbon. Your biggest weight savings could come from a carbon frame in place of ti. I'm going on the assumption that weight isn't everything with this build and you really have a strong desire for a ti frame.

Correct. I have a carbon road bike and now I want one with a Ti frame. Hopefully I won't end up with a 16lb $$$$ anchor that I regret buying!

Fork: ENVE 2.0 or THM Scapula ---- Enve. The Thm is a great fork but the Enve 2.0 is better for heavy riders.

Good to know.

Stem: Extralite OC 120mm --- At your weight you might find you have issues with the bar slipping in the stem. You should consider something more robust such as Syntace/New Ultimate.

I have experienced this before with the Extralite stem so maybe I will have to add ~30g and go with the uglier but stronger Syntace F109.

Housing and Cable for drivetrain: Nokon ----- Alligator I-link mini or Aican would be the best choice.

Fine - happy to try that brand.

Brake Calipers: Zero Gravity Ti (Also considering M5 brakes....not much chatter on these lately?) ---- At your size I wouldn't consider either of these. EE would be my first choice.

You aren't the first person to suggest EE so I will reconsider. Too bad they aren't any lighter than my ZG Ti brakes.

Crank: Campagnolo Super Record Ti 11---- If you stick with the Campag avoid the Ti version. Like others mentioned the M3 is probably a better choice. It's stiffer than the Ti Campag, has an open bcd, and is lighter. You mentioned that one reason to like the Campag was a narrower Q-factor but in all likelihood a narrow q-factor isn't what you need.

If I go THM do you have much to say about the Clavicula vs M3? Is one stiffer, lighter, or more durable? I really want/need a 36T or 38T inner and a 52T outer which means compact with custom rings.

Seatpost: AX Lightness Europa--- No way would I recommend this. The stock Europa has an 85kg weight limit and even then it requires gentle use. I'd have a custom one made from either Schmolke or Mcfk.

I have been riding a Europa for five years...but maybe on borrowed time ;) Are you able to commission a custom post from Schmolke or Mcfk?

Headset: Extralite---- I wouldn't recommend this. The micro upper bearing is too finicky and lacks durability. A Morion from Kcnc at the same weight is a better choice, but best still is to take a few extra grams and go with a Tune.

The Tune should fit the bill nicely while still being a lot lighter than my old fave from Chris King.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

madcow,

Can you please clarify what stiffness differences there are, if any, between SR Ti and SR steel cranks? Thanks.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Cheers! wrote:Why the M3 version of Clavicula and not the std one. I know the M3 has the seperate spider and the std doesn't. But it is not often you need to change the spider anywyas.

The M3 is a little more durable than the Clavicula. The alloy spindle addresses two of the issues that some claviculas develop which are loose inserts in the carbon spindle and loose bearing sleeves on the outside of the spindle.

RedRacer wrote:
You aren't the first person to suggest EE so I will reconsider. Too bad they aren't any lighter than my ZG Ti brakes.

If I go THM do you have much to say about the Clavicula vs M3? Is one stiffer, lighter, or more durable? I really want/need a 36T or 38T inner and a 52T outer which means compact with custom rings.

I have been riding a Europa for five years...but maybe on borrowed time ;) Are you able to commission a custom post from Schmolke or Mcfk?

The EE may not be any lighter than the ZG, but they aren't any heavier and the performance difference is staggering.

For the crank, I do recommend the M3 over the standard for the reasons I addressed above. For the rings, Praxis now makes a 36/52 110 set which I've tested and have had good results with.

The seatpost, we can have them custom made for you, but since it is done when we place a reorder for stock it takes longer. To me part of the draw of having something custom done is working directly with the builder, so I'd recommend working directly with them. However if for some reason you aren't comfortable with that, we're happy to do it for you and add it to our next order.

HammerTime2 wrote:madcow,

Can you please clarify what stiffness differences there are, if any, between SR Ti and SR steel cranks? Thanks.

Unfortunately not right now, but it shouldn't be too much longer before we're able to put out the results of our 5th round of crank tests.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

There is always the Ax-lightness Morpheus Compact Road that has a limit of 110 kilograms for rider weight. It has a 110BCD spider, so you can easily get the chain ring sizing you want.

Since we are talking about Campagnolo SR Ti cranksets and THM Carbones Clavicula... might as well throw Ax-lightness Morpheus Compact Road into the discussion as well.

Personally my wallet is not as thick so I would be looking at the Lightning Carbon Cranks Clydesdale version if you want absolute strength, or go cheap and go with my original suggestion and give the Specialized Sworks road cranks a try.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, that got me to thinking, why not an Engage (by AX Lightness) crank? Somewhat surprisingly, there is no crank listed at http://www.engage-bikes.de/produkte/ .

MDH

by MDH

Looking forward to seeing this progress. I'm having a frame built in Columbus Spirit. Mine too will be 61cm. Not quite as weight weenie though.