Project Black - Miracle MC066-SL Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

system787

by system787

I've been lurking WW for a while and always lusted after the expensive uber-weenie bikes knowing that I couldn't afford anything similar for a while. Now that I have a little pocket of money saved up for this project, I will finally contribute something to weightweenies!

The budget is still very low, so the whole point of this bike is to maximize the bike for as little money as possible. Ideally, I will be building a bike that is as functional as it is light. I won't be cutting too many corners for weight, and I do not intend on bringing a dremel to my parts. To make this happen, I have decided to sell my beloved Cannondale SystemSix and will be scouring the web for good deals and used parts.

So far, I have decided an open mould frame as my starting point, and I chose the Miracle MC066 (FM066 from other vendors). Claimed weight for the frame is 830 +-25 for a 54 cm, fork 370 uncut.

Here is the proposed build sheet. Items marked yellow means I have paid for the items and are waiting for them to come in. Green indicates things I already have. Orange indicates things I have yet to purchase or decide on, prices are estimated based on my budget limitations.

At this point, the weight is entirely speculation. All the weights except for my pedals and carbon top cap expander are estimated based off of claimed weights. I tried overestimating the weights on some parts, but in all likelihood, parts will come in overweight, grease, etc. For now, however, I am content knowing that the estimated weight of my bike is 6046 grams, or 13.33 lbs while only missing a saddle and cables and housing!

I'm undecided on buying a Arione CX Kium that I know for sure will be comfortable, or a carbon saddle that weighs half the arione. I also don't know what cables I plan on using. Nokons, Alligator iLinks, powercordz are all out of my budget. I may just try to nab a set Jagwire Racers since they work fairly well and are inexpensive. I'm open to suggestions on these.

There is definitely room for improvement, and I'm open to suggestions. In the near future, I plan on swapping the chromoly spindles of my speedplays and swap them with Ti spindles, as well as Ti and alloy bolts all around my bike for some cheap weight savings.

I'll be updating this thread with pictures and actual weights as the stuff comes in. Stay tuned. :beerchug:
Last edited by system787 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Nice looking frame. Is all the routing internal? Also, what is the ID of the seat tube, 27.2 or 31.6?

If you're looking for housing, you should check out Yokozuna Reaction cables. They are about $50 a set, but are by far the best I've personally used.

system787

by system787

Cables are internal, you can see the entry and exit points all along the frame. Seatpost is 27.2. Also, I did use Yokozuna Reactions on my previous bikes, and they're great. Very stiff housing and very crisp shifting, but heavy! I'll consider it when my build gets put together a bit more.

system787

by system787

I picked up this FD from theproscloset and the description says the cage is Ti. However, the cage doesn't look like the Ti versions. Did I manage to nab a steel Red FD?
Attachments
$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6HCBQKyH,ZcQw~~60_57.JPG

Guy

by Guy

Looking forward to seeing this built-up. Have you got a delivery date on the frame yet?

philipBer

by philipBer

system787 wrote:I picked up this FD from theproscloset and the description says the cage is Ti. However, the cage doesn't look like the Ti versions. Did I manage to nab a steel Red FD?

I think you have baught the "pro" version of the FD, schould be similar to the Force FD and working better than the normal 2011 Red FD...

system787

by system787

No delivery date on the frame yet, as I just placed the order for the frame this morning. Comments on velobuild say that Miracle ships very fast and packaging is very well done. One person said his order was placed on a Thursday and it came in the next Thursday.

Thanks philipBer, I feel like I lucked out with the FD, as it was too good of a price to pass up!

hoggy

by hoggy

very keen to see how this builds up and more importantly how it rides. I looked at one of these only a few months back and only held back due to non bike related issues. Would love some real life photos when the frame arrives.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

elviento will hate this build.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Well, there have been some deliveries of the frameset, though they are not from Miracle Trade, but will useful to know what to expect. Generally quite positive, though there are the odd quirks as they point out.

http://www.velobuild.com/6-build-photos ... u-fm066-sl

And this:

http://www.velobuild.com/6-build-photos ... 066sl-bb30

And a short review:

http://www.velobuild.com/6-build-photos ... ide-review

system787

by system787

Parts are coming in now. Still waiting on the frameset shipment, shifters, and wheels coming in the next few days.

Fairly big change in build selection. I ponied up a little more for the wheels because I managed to find a fantastic deal on 2010 Reynolds Assaults. The price I paid includes 3 Continental Sprinters, two pre-glued (I may reglue them myself for peace of mind), skewers, brake pads, and a spoke wrench, so the price increase over a set of BHS wheels is warranted. Also, managed to nab a Red 11-26 cassette for a pretty good price.

I've weighed everything that I currently have and updated the original post, and here's a teaser pic for you guys.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I also ordered one of these for myself this week from Deng-fu so I am too looking forward to this build.

In my view building a light/efficient bike on a budget is what WW's is all about!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

petepeterson wrote:In my view building a light/efficient bike on a budget is what WW's is all about!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

system787

by system787

Ugh. I'm having a bad experience with this order.

Season, my contact from Miraclebikes, has stopped responding to me after giving me a tracking number that does not work. I phoned Miracle and got another contact to try to find out about my order, but stopped responding. It's a big mystery.

I've read reports from other Miraclebikes orders that the frames are shipped and make it to the buyer in about a week, and supposedly my frame was shipped last Monday. At this point, I have no idea whether or not my frame was actually shipped, or if I am ever going to receive the frame. We'll see where this takes me, but for now I'm sitting on a box of parts minus frameset, handlebars, seatpost, bottle cages.

Edit: just got an email. Apparently my frame was stuck in customs, and it should be resolved by tomorrow. Which means my build will be delayed for about another week. As long as my frame comes in good shape, I'm fine with that

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Good luck! Hope your frame arrives quickly. Should be an interesting build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com