HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 pm 

I have a C2 and I love mine. Not super weight weenie, but I can hit 15s with some tubies.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:44 pm 
Shop Owner

The bike is fully assembled. Two rides have been made on it already. Shorter 35 mile roller and slightly longer 65 miler with few punch climbs. The bike is on rails!!! It is stiff and the feedback from the road is massive - I actually like it. A little bit shorter wheelbase makes it turn fast on switchbacks but still is planted on longer turns. Could be the placebo but it feels fast. The BB is mega stiff and the bike is unbelivebly responsive. The feel from the few climbs I've done is good but more needs to be seen - I definitely need to keep more load on the rear wheel or it spins due to shorter chainstays. Integrated seat post is definitely stiffer than my older bike's Ritchey carbon seatpost but the position adjustment is limited - my saddle is moved max (allowed) to the rear to achieve correct riding position. New red is smooth but it is not quieter than my old one with PG-1070 and KMC X10SL chain - there is a nice clunk from the 1091R/XG-1090 X-Glide cassette when shifting. Front shifts are super smooth. Aero-link brakes have definitely more power and are easy to modulate - adjustment of single pivot is not the easiest tho. Ergo of the shifters is for sure better (and I did not install the gels). 3T LTD stem on carbon fork will need some friction paste as it slips loosening the headset. Hubs in FC 404s are super smooth. Antares carbon rails is definitely stiffer than Antares Kium (but my Kium might have softened with thousands of miles of use) but same comfort. I also enjoy a bit more aggressive geometry compared to my 2009 Jamis Xenith SL - stack is ~ 1 cm less and reach is ~ 1 cm more. Total weight with pedals and cages is 6,353 grams - I was shooting for approximately 400 grams less but most components were slightly heavier than advertised (SRAM and Vittoria being the only exceptions here) plus not taken into account electrical tape, tubular glue, grease, .... added to the total. Overall - super happy and am sure I will discover more greatness of this setup soon and in 2013 races.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:58 pm 

This is one of the nicest aero bikes I've seen. Very well put together as far as aesthetics and parts selection. Really dig it! The weight is quite impressive as well! All the best with it and ride the heck out of it :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:47 pm 

Not a fan of this frame but the outcome is really nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 pm 

That is ridiculously hot! It even makes zipps look good and I'm no fan of zipps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 pm 

:unbelievable: WOW~This bike is AWESOME!
martinSL, you've done a great job selecting these parts! I especially admire the little bit touch of red.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:31 pm 

looks bad ass!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:07 pm 

impressed, youve used a frame i dont like with a load of bits i dont like and built a bike i really like the look of

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:00 am 
Shop Owner

Thx guys. Yesterday, on a short training ride I established a new downhill speed record on the road going down from my house. This is a short stretch of the road sloping down minus 7% max with a couple of speed reduction isles :twisted: . The old record was 45 mph (Jamis Xenith SL on Reynolds DV46UL-C) and the new one (on a new bike and I'd say still not committing myself fully to it) is now 47 mph. Climbing up back seemed also faster, smoother, more power transfer - not accurate data to quantify the time savings. I wonder what it's going to be like in a real race scenario.

Go to page Previous  1, 2