My WW build list - please critique!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

This is my component build list to go on a custom 61cm Ti frame.

Since I am not a featherweight (95kg) some of the parts on the list are stronger/stiffer that most WWs would suggest but I need a reliable bike.

The clinchers have to stay as experiments with custom 1200g wheels have been less than satisfactory, but most of the other parts could be changed. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks I have chosen poorly or could save additional weight! I would love to shave another 200g off this build.

Frame: Custom Ti
Fork: ENVE 2.0 or THM Scapula
Stem: Extralite OC 120mm
Bars: ZIPP SL 46cm
Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 12-27 w/alloy lockring <<updated
Housing and Cable for drivetrain: Nokon
Brake Calipers: Zero Gravity Ti (Also considering M5 brakes....not much chatter on these lately?)
Housing and Cable for brakes: Campagnolo
Crank: Campagnolo Super Record Ti 11
Chainrings: Stronglight CT2 110 38/52
Bottom Bracket Bearings: Campagnolo Super Record
Chain: Campagnolo Record 11
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Ti
Seatpost: AX Lightness Europa
Clamp: Tune or KCNC
Pedals: Time RXS Ulteam Carbon Ti
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Zero clinchers
Tires: Michelin Pro4 Service Course
Tubes: Specialized Turbo Ultralight
Skewers: Extralite
Bar Tape: ??
Headset: Extralite
Cages: King Titanium

:beerchug:
Last edited by RedRacer on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Sounds pretty bad ass to me!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Should be a solid build..

How about Lizard Skins DSP Tape and alligator ilink and mini-ilink for the brake and shift housing? Much lighter than Nokon.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not worth changing the chainrings IMO. Stay with std crankset.

My tubes are Conti supersonic at 50g. What are those?

And forget the fancy cassette if you are intending to ride this thing.

Can you loose weight?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

cnbky

by cnbky

I have a few suggestions, or at least given your specifications how I would have it.

I'd change the cassette to a super record, i've read quite a bit of negative reviews on the shifting quality.

What weigh you gained from there, you can easily loose with a different chainset. THM?
Not sure if the chainring would look right on the campy anyway.

Also, I'd get a nice ax thing going - seatpost, stem handlebar (chainset)

Plenty to loose on the king ti cages (though i love them!)

Black and matt/shiny titanium goes very very nicely.

i've rambled on, I want to build something similar.

Good luck & share

notsoswift

by notsoswift

crohnsy wrote:Should be a solid build..

How about Lizard Skins DSP Tape and alligator ilink and mini-ilink for the brake and shift housing? Much lighter than Nokon.

A plus for the iLink,

Also comments for the Omni if it is a regular ride. I have Omni on my DA bike and it is fine, and I I will replace the Recon with an Omni when it wears out on the Chorus bike, but since you are basically best to buy a full SR group...Only issue is the SR with the 27 only goes to 12 IIRC

I like the post about using AX lightness for bars/stem/post as well

The only other thing I would consider is wheels

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Great feedback. Exactly what I was looking for :thumbup: A few comments from me to help paint the overall picture...

How about Lizard Skins DSP Tape

Never heard of the stuff. Something special? I have used Deda, Cinelli and Specialized in the past.

...and alligator ilink and mini-ilink for the brake and shift housing? Much lighter than Nokon.

Thanks for the tip. I have never used anything other than 'standard' cables and housing so this whole segmented cable world is new to me and I though that Nokon was the industry standard. Maybe I still have a lot to learn! Does the iLink offer performance and durability on-par with Nokon?

Not worth changing the chainrings IMO. Stay with std crankset.

Call it splitting hairs but 39 up front just isn't enough gear for me in the mountains and I can't find a 38T inner for the standard SR crankset, hence the decision to use the Super Record Compact with the 38T inner. Unorthodox but just what I need.

My tubes are Conti supersonic at 50g. What are those?

Maybe I will try the Contis. How thick is the rubber? IIRC the Specialized turbos are 66g.

And forget the fancy cassette if you are intending to ride this thing.

Sooooo many conflicting reports on these. If the shifting is 95% as good as the Campag cassette would offer I would be satisfied. I have been riding a Ti cassette for the last thee years (can't recall the brand) and the shifting is fine. The Omi Ti seems like such a cheap and easy way to shave 50g+ :noidea:

Can you loose weight?

Yes, and I should add some power. Working on both at the moment :)

I'd change the cassette to a super record, i've read quite a bit of negative reviews on the shifting quality.

Now I am second guessing myself on the Omni racer! Maybe time to look at the 12-27 Super Record cassette...

What weigh you gained from there, you can easily loose with a different chainset. THM?

I seriously considered the THM M3 but from what I can see it only saves ~40g over the Super Record Ti and likely isn't as stiff or easy to set-up, plus I doubt it is as durable. Reviews also suggest the SR has nicer bearings. Oh, and the SR has a lower Q-factor...I think? Don't get me wrong, I think the THMs are super cool and I am a big fan of special, low-production parts but this time I just can't see the move to THMs as a net advantage. Am I wrong?

Also, I'd get a nice ax thing going - seatpost, stem handlebar (chainset)

The AX Zeus stem is uber-light but IMO it isn't the prettiest thing on earth and as a 95kg rider it does worry me a bit in terms of strength and durability. Every bunny hop or harsh impact would scare me! Did Tour magazine ever do a stem test like they did with seat posts?

Re the AX bar, I like my bars in the traditional shape and AX only offers a 42cm width which is too narrow for me.

Plenty to loose on the king ti cages (though i love them!)

Agreed. I know I could get two cages that weigh the same as one King but they are just so right on a Ti frame!

Any thoughts on my fork decision? I am leaning towards the Scapula due to the gloss carbon finish and the curved style. Lame but true!

Frankie13

by Frankie13

How about the new 2013 SR crank with 52/36 ?

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Lizardskins DSP is just a rubber tape, easy to clean, lots of colours, good grip and varying thicknesses. I like the 2.5mm over the 1.8mm for a bit of extra thickness. The bonus is that the tape is light 1.8(50g with plugs) 2.5(56g with plugs) They also have a new "roubaix" version at 3.2mm.

I switched from Nokon to iLink when I built my Tarmac and I think it is every bit as good as nokon with the added bonus of being lighter

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Frankie13 wrote:How about the new 2013 SR crank with 52/36 ?

Seriously? I had no idea! Where can I learn more about these? What else has changed on the SR gruppo for '13?

*Edit* Never mind, Google is my friend.
Last edited by RedRacer on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

crohnsy wrote:Lizardskins DSP is just a rubber tape, easy to clean, lots of colours, good grip and varying thicknesses. I like the 2.5mm over the 1.8mm for a bit of extra thickness. The bonus is that the tape is light 1.8(50g with plugs) 2.5(56g with plugs) They also have a new "roubaix" version at 3.2mm.

I switched from Nokon to iLink when I built my Tarmac and I think it is every bit as good as nokon with the added bonus of being lighter

Right on! I am sold on both of your recommendations - thanks 8)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

RedRacer wrote:
Frankie13 wrote:How about the new 2013 SR crank with 52/36 ?

Seriously? I had no idea! Where can I learn more about these? What else has changed on the SR gruppo for '13?

Campy announce the 52/36 compact about 4 months ago
I don't know if they are widely out there but I am kicking myself because they would have been perfect for me

cnbky

by cnbky

lizard skin dsp race. ive been using that for a bit now and love it.

the thicker version has that ugly lizard logo all over it which ive used as well - couldn't feel comfort difference. (and im pretty critical however always wear gloves)

It IS shiny so it looks best with a shiny saddle - so a nice black cork might look best with ur spesh.

also, consider some suppler tires. tub wise im fully for veloflex however 'open tubulars', id go for vittoria evo 320. (red logo will match ur sr11 bits nicely)

RedRacer

by RedRacer

canbakay wrote:also, consider some suppler tires. tub wise im fully for veloflex however 'open tubulars', id go for vittoria evo 320. (red logo will match ur sr11 bits nicely)

Are you suggesting the Open Corsa Evo CX 700x23C model? I have only ever ridden Michelin ProRace, Conti 4000 and Mavic clinchers so I didn't realize that they are clinchers that are more supple. Will the difference really be felt...more so than the ~25g/tire that I can save with a different brand?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cnbky

by cnbky

Yes absolutely. I'm sure that many here would agree that when it comes to tires, ride quality is more important than its weight. Of course that doesn't apply to all circumstances. However, they are notoriously bad in the rain.

have a read though this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84939

I would disregard the 'more prone to puncture' argument when you come across it. That's of course my opinion and experience - I do ride though bad weather and roads.

Open Corsa Evo CX 700x23C is correct.