78.74 cm inseam, whats your seat hihght

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I know we are all different, but I was just wondering how high are others seat with that kind of inseam=)

I for the life can seem to go over 70 cm, with around 8 cm seatback, other wise I have lots of pain in my lower hamstring and the outside of my knee?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

That's about right for you - just under 70 is what I'd expect. Sore lower hammies is the classic indicator of high saddle.
Why are you trying to put it up?

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

A good multiplier I use for starting bike fits is inseam x 0.885. This would put your rough SH at 69.7 cm.
Cheers

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

funny you say that, just few weeks back when I got my new shoes, the guy at a store whom its their fitter put me on the trainer and had me a 72.5-73, I went home and dropped it down, it was no way I could sit that high. question, why would my left leg fee like its the one thats giving me power only at them bottom of the stroke, where the right feels like its giving me about 60%, when the saddle is higher, then I have the opposite issue?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not a direct number thing. Lots of other stuff come into play.

Your flexibility ?

Your riding position ? Stretched out ? Upright ? Compact ? It will affect how your legs are stretched while riding, thus affect your seat height.

Your pedal system ? It will affect your stack height and can shift your seat height by a few millimeters.

Saddle used ? Some sag more than others and thus will also affect your seat height.

Seat-tube angle of frameset ? It will affect how far back you are on the bike, and in effect your seat height too.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ever tried the competitve cyclist fit?? Its ridiculous what it gives for seat height... On the competitive fit its trying to place me 2 cm higher than I am right now... for the heck of it, I jacked my seat up to that on the trainer.. it was hilarious.. could barely reach the pedals never mind generate any kind of power... Id be interested to see just where they grabbed that formula from they are using...

antifocus

by antifocus

Hi,
I think this is a great post regarding seat height: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... can-it-be/.
I also have 79cm-ish inseam and I run a 70cm saddle height, but I have relatively large feet and thick-sole shoes so those must be taken into account.
All in all there is no universal law can be applied in bike fitting. :beerchug:

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

yeah, competative cycling put me at around 72-73 cm, way way to high, so did my fitter, they must think that we are super flexible ect. My flex is medium, not best not worst, with my seat hight at 70 I can stay in the drop for a while.
im still trying to figure out why my left leg is trying to move forward more then then left. I just put 3mm of spacer under the cleat and will report back to tell you if it makes a differance, do you guys know if a narrower saddle would help me be more balanced? I have a romin evo pro 155, and I do love the comfort of it

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Starting points are starting points...

Given all the variables, being critical of one formula or another seems like a huge waste of mental energy. Raise your hand if you think it reasonable to expect any generic formula to be more accurate than +|- 5%...

You should expect a well trained fitter to get it dead right...

You should expect an Internet chat about it to be roughly the same accuracy as a dice role with one of these...

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

LOL!

OK, please point me to a great fitter in New Jersey, Parisppany, Bridgewater area=)

thanks

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I would go across to Signature Cycles, 80 west end, nyny.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Signature Cycles, sent them an email, thanks

how good are they? can you tell me more about them

CharlesM

by CharlesM

One of the better shops on the east coast. High end builds, customs etc and very good fitters in your general area.

If I lived some place near you, that would be the shop I used (when I wasn't still ordering from Fairwheel)

STARNUT

by STARNUT

foot size too. You do, after all, pedal with your feet.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I was wondering one more thing, what is everyones seat setback

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com