Colnago Master Frames - does anybody ever sell them?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Colnago Master (XLite/Olympic) - see quite a few of them around the place but they rarely seem to come up for sale (yep, I know about the one FS here and others on Flea Bay).

Are they anything like owning an classic italian sports car where parting company is just too painful an experience to consider?

Perhaps patience pays off in waiting for the right one to come along.

Thoughts welcome!

I

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bontie

by bontie

They do pop up from time to time on various fora in the UK/Europe.

What size are you after?

micky

by micky

what size?

ticou

by ticou

Peeps probably get them M-M, and keep them for that reason as well. It's an iconic frame all the same, so that might be a further problem, good luck though.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Have been toying with the idea of a 58cm/59cm given my current Klein Q Pro XX 58cm has an effective top tube of 587mm.

Strongly tempted by this offering - especially as the seller is also from Queensland, Aus (easier to view the frame etc).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLNAGO-MAST ... 500wt_1203

Usual disclaimer - no connections whatsoever with the seller.

Ticou - what does M - M mean?

Cheers :)

jooo

by jooo

made to measure?

c50jim

by c50jim

Illuminate, if you're looking for a 58.7 top tube, you probably want a 61. I ride 59 and it's top tube in only 57.2. You should ask the seller of that bike the TT length if you're thinking of it because I suspect it's something in the 56 range.

I bought a used, nice Master on eBay last year as my winter bike. It's nice enough that I'm thinking of a Master30 because I love the red paint. I've ordered the group, just need the frame and wheels now.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Jim, thank you for the snippet of info. The seller has measured both the TT and the seat tube - both are 58cm C-C apparently. 61 seat tube and 58 would probably work better for me as I'm proportionally longer in the legs and would prefer not to have a mile of seatpost sticking out of the frame.

Again, thanks for the info!

Cheers

c50jim

by c50jim

If he's measured the TT, that helps. A 58 TT is a 60 tradition al by Colnago's sizing. I ride 59s with a 79.5 BB to top of saddle height and can easily get a drop to the bars of about 9 cm so obviously I have some seat post showing but not an enormous amount. There's usually some seat tube above the top tube on Colnagos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Just buy a new one from Maestro.

If you're looking for one in the used market, here are the issues-

1) You'll have no idea how old the frame is.

2) No idea how many miles the frame has.

3) Internal rust is an issue, especially with older frames made out of steel.

4) You can't expect to have your full spec range accounted for, meaning-if you're looking for a specific size in a specific paint job, etc.

Too many variables that can go wrong if you ask me. Just purchase it new-you can even do custom geometry and any vintage Colnago paintjob you can think of.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/