Eurobike 2012

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jooo

by jooo

@ Ritterview - Ah yeah, as thisisatest said, completely different splines. Not a new concept at all really. Lots of other cranks have used them in the past. Carbon-Ti has already been making Ti 'spiderless' doubles for XC bikes for a while now too. So pretty easy to remove bolt holes and ramps to make single speed rings. On their site you can see the splines are quite different between SRAM/Specialized/Cannondale.
http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?p1=prodotti&Cat=XRTI

And yeah, the one piece Cannondale rings have been known about for ages now... Not out yet but not new at all. Haven't seen more pics from the show but hoping they make some XC combos too. 38/24 or something like that.

virenque

by virenque

anyone seen the parktool booth, anything new?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

deek wrote:It's easy to know what direction the load you're applying is in relation to the crankarm, but it is much harder to know the direction of the load in relation to the bike.

I'm not following that part. For calculating power they only need to know the applied force relative to the crankarm. Granted, that isn't easily determined. The direction of the load relative to the bike doesn't matter.
formerly rruff...

VNTech

by VNTech

The Cannondale Spiderings (it bothers me there isn't a second R in there...) are indeed forged, Praxis-style.

I'm still waiting on prices, weights, other options etc. But it'll all be up when I do get everything.

Caley
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

bikedoc

by bikedoc

WMW wrote:
deek wrote:It's easy to know what direction the load you're applying is in relation to the crankarm, but it is much harder to know the direction of the load in relation to the bike.

I'm not following that part. For calculating power they only need to know the applied force relative to the crankarm. Granted, that isn't easily determined. The direction of the load relative to the bike doesn't matter.

really depends if you want to measure the power thats just being used to move the bike or the power thats being put in to the crank arm.

for example the power mearsured by a SRM is just whats turing the chainrings where as the power being measured by a system in the crank arms is also getting any sideways load mixed in so it might/could measure higher.

S for Praxis rings they are forged then machined, you couldnt forge a set of rings like that, well at least it would be very very difficult.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Depending of the Wheatstone bridge that you use, you can decouple strains of the crankarm, for example, strain generated by the normal load of the crankarm (that doesn't generate moment in the rear wheel in an obvious way) and generated by the flexion of the crankarm.

It's the same method that Rotor is using to make it inmune to temperature changes

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Do you see anything strange, or COMIC? :mrgreen:
(front wheel - one "S" is missing..)

STARNUT

by STARNUT

someone remind me why L-R power balance is important again?

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Possibly to let you know if you need a shim on one side or not? Dunno.

Damn that Canyon is so beautiful. Almost makes me want to fly to Europe, buy it, and ship it back to US myself

Leviathan

by Leviathan

deek wrote:Exactly. At any position and especially 12 and 6 o'clock, you're applying some force that doesn't actually help you go forward. It's hard for the pedal and crank based systems to figure out if the force is tangential to the crankarms or not. I really wish that Garmin left up Metrigear's blog about the development of the Vector pedals. There was a lot of interesting and educational stuff on it.

thats really helpful, thanks.

Phill P

by Phill P

That canyon is the most lust worthy one yet! Like the look of the new speed max too.

That fly to Europe idea is tempting....then can get sizing and stem lengths correct.

Maybe I'll have to do Eurobike next year and get some close out stock!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

It's hard to see but are the cosmic wheels on the canyon a new wheel? Looks like a clincher. No external nipples? Hard to see any more news?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Cosmics are the cxr(?). Tubular, takes that little ridge-smoothing strip between the rim and tire.
Park- all ive heard that's new so far is their powered lifting bike stand. Most beneficial for E-bike stores. Im sure theyll have a smattering of mediocre, poorly-designed, cheaply made tools.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

fap material via BDC's site (previously linked in this thread, no need to re-link)

Scapin lookin' elegant and smoooth:

Storck's Aernario G1 is looking nice and Storcky, as usual. Storck is the new Cervelo afterall, I'm sure there will be many threads describing it as "the greatest [whatever] evar!!!!1!!"

SImplon's new Aero bike:

... and the junction of their top tube to Headtube on the TT bike is reminiscent of Time's standard aero road bikes:

Schmolke is now making frames and no one on WW has mentioned anything? WTF?

Apparently AX-Lightness' VIAL is real, not just images on a website:

And their "Engage" series of products?
Real as well.

Cube's Seat-tube to Seat-stay transition is downright sexy:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:Schmolke is now making frames and no one on WW has mentioned anything? WTF?
What does "making" mean in this particular instance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com