New hubs from Alchemy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Alchemy is soon replacing the Orc rear hub with the Orc-UL and also adding an additional front hub as well as mtb hubs to the lineup. Details are here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ ... pdate.html

ergott

by ergott

Very cool!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Great thanks for the info!! like many I've been waiting to hear about shimano 11 speed compatibility with Alchemy hubs.

kac

by kac

That's welcome news...except I might be tempted to buy them! My Orc and ELF hubs have performed flawlessly and Alchemy customer service is first rate and consistently so.
Incidentally Jason, will the HSC ceramic upgrade bearing kits fit the new hubs?

KAC

Phill P

by Phill P

A lighter and more aero elf, plus an orc that is sub 190?!? :unbelievable:

I don't understand form the description and the images how the bearing spacing works, Alchemy really need to do a section image to show how their rear hubs work!!

I might have to give up on the idea of developing my own hubs and just retail Alchemy hubs. They are making too hard to compete!!

Any idea of colours they will offer? Hole counts? Triplette? MTB hubs?? Imagine how stiff the rear end of a FS would be with an ORC 12mm thru axle setup!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

kac

by kac

Some clarification from Alchemy on the new ELF bearings: "We have actually switched to PhilWood bearings that have a higher compression grease and better seals than the bearings we were using. However, Phil offers some sizes with a marine grade seal. This seal, while very effective, also has very high drag. We use the standard Phil seal which is better than the old seal we used, but has less drag than the marine grade seal."

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Phill P wrote: Alchemy really need to do a section image to show how their rear hubs work!!

Agreed. I am interested to see how exactly the hubshell extends under the free hub body.

antifocus

by antifocus

Hi,
Don't know if this link will help: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-53428434.html

bricky21

by bricky21

^That isn't the new version.

Phill P

by Phill P

Also not a section view. I want to see what it looks like assembled, but cut in half
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

kac wrote:That's welcome news...except I might be tempted to buy them! My Orc and ELF hubs have performed flawlessly and Alchemy customer service is first rate and consistently so.
Incidentally Jason, will the HSC ceramic upgrade bearing kits fit the new hubs?

KAC

The UL should use standard sized bearings which means there will be a ceramic upgrade kit.

Phill P wrote:
I don't understand form the description and the images how the bearing spacing works, Alchemy really need to do a section image to show how their rear hubs work!!

Any idea of colours they will offer? Hole counts? Triplette? MTB hubs?? Imagine how stiff the rear end of a FS would be with an ORC 12mm thru axle setup!

They aren't releasing too much info on it until the hub is done and ready for sale, but at some point we'll certainly be able to show you more.

For colors I expect it to continue to be the same, black, silver and red. Drillings should also be the same. I don't think they have any plans to do a triplet.

mgordon

by mgordon

Any news on these hubs? Somehow I don't trust that the Alchemy website is up-to-date...

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weigh ... lator.html

...seems to show "2013 Alchemy Orc UL Rear Road Hub 192g" as an option.

spytech

by spytech

Since wheelbuilder is allowing you to put his as an option, it must be close? any more info on the ORC-UL hub?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

No more info yet. Wheelbuilder may have them as an option, but Alchemy hasn't finished them yet. MSRP and weight haven't even been determined, so I don't really see why they have them up.

I will definitely post pics/opinions in this thread once we have their new hub in. Sarah says at some point in January, so it should be really soon!

Bingomck

by Bingomck

Halfway through January!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com