Are Shimano mech cages interchangeable?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I've got new SLX and XT mechs, but want to run short cages on them as they're going on 1x10 drivetrains and I've a habit of writing mechs off regulalry.

I've got a couple of old 9 speed road mechs, will the short cages swap over? One of the new mechs is shadow, the other is shadow+ if that makes a difference.

Alternatively, does anyone make short cages for them?

02GF74

by 02GF74

I've recently taken apart a shimano mech - not my bike so don't know the details but think it was LX - not shadow.

on these there is a hole with a socket screw (aka grub screw) that can be removed - the top of the hole is peened over to prevent the screw from coming out but this does nothing to prevent the screw being unsrewed by an allen key.

why am i telling you this? simply bechause the enitre cage mecahism, including the sring can be taken off, so if other mech designs are like this, you should be able to swap the entire cage over on mechs of same model i.e. fit a different length cage.

if you are thinking of saving weight by fitting a shorter mech, don't bother :twisted: i replaced a long cage SRAM X0 mech by medium and the weight saving in grammes could be counted on one hand.

also check ebay for carbon cages and alloy or CF jockey wheels - a more cost effective way to save weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

if you are thinking of saving weight by fitting a shorter mech, don't bother i replaced a long cage SRAM X0 mech by medium and the weight saving in grammes could be counted on one hand.

Not weight saving, just ground clerance.

Weight wise the bike's 32lb and climbing! And that's with the realtively normal bit's on it. The rate I go through bits on this bike carbon wouldn't be cost effective, I'd be better off burning £50's and using the warm air to inflate the tyres!

That is unless there's some really cheep carbon short cages about. The alternative is an 'upgrade' to ZEE which looks to be identical to SLX but with a short cage.