Easiest place to save weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

.... so if yu don't want to carry water on your back, how about the beer belly
:P
should give a lower CofG.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I really don't care carrying too much water. I would rather have too much than too little and get thirsty.

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I always used to take a camelpack, now I only use it if I'm going somewhere remote or if my bike can't take bottles (the Pitch struggles).

Light bikes handle better, but adding a 750g bottle to the center of the frame IMO makes less difference than 750g of water in a 500g backpack, which then makes you sweat more. So for XC rides I'll rarely use anything other than a bottle, it certainly feels like less effort than a backpack.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

bm0p700f wrote: I would rather have too much than too little and get thirsty.

Sounds like your dehydrated as your talking gibberish! :lol:
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Musiker

by Musiker

Haven not been riding my MTB in years, but when I rode a lot I use a small camelbak (1.5L)... Two reasons:
1) On technical trails its nice not having to let go of handlebar to get a flask out
2) Our tracks have lots of mud mixed with horse shit = Flasks get really really disgustingly dirty ...

Im not using my jersey pockets for other things than food because I have lost pumps, tubes tools when carrying it in my jersey on a bumpy trail or when chrashing. So I use the camelbak and a small saddlebag to carry multitool pump and tubes..

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I prefer a hydration pack as having the same weight strapped to your body has less effect on bike control than having it strapped to the bike.

And yes I hate swallowing the mud that gets sprayed onto it.

clouchi

by clouchi

It is definitely the belly.

Can you buy a weightweenies belly?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

clouchi wrote:Can you buy a weightweenies belly?

Yes, but you don't get much for your money!

qwop

by qwop

1 Bottle- Under 2 hrs
2 Bottles- 3 hrs
Camelbak w/ food- 5+ hrs

My biggest problem with wearing a pack is the weight, uncomfortable straps, sweaty back, and its deduction of style points unless you are carying it while wearing baggies and/or going for an epic hard-man ride in the backcountry.

Get some King Cage bottle cages for your bottles and save the pack as a last resort :thumbup:

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Oh I'd so love to see your MTb with two full water bottles on it (inc super light bottle cages) on the weighing scales!!!

02GF74

by 02GF74

runningrunningjump wrote:Oh I'd so love to see your MTb with two full water bottles on it (inc super light bottle cages) on the weighing scales!!!

it wil be 1.5 kg or so heavier but then total weight of bike and rider will be same if you carry the water in a hydration pack.

i used to carry water on my bike (still do on my road bike) but for off road, either carry water bottle in waist sack or for longer rides a hydration back pack. i find it more hygenic to carry water higher up as it is out of the way of muck/crud/crap/dirt. I can't say the bike handles better or worse depending on where the water is.