Tranny in the making

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tambo731

by tambo731

I've only got a couple of posts here, but visit the site frequently. I'm excited about my new build project, and would like to share it with the world. I'm still in the beginning stages of selecting parts. This is what I got so far. Critics and suggestions welcome. I'm going for a 650b up front with rigid fork without messing up the geo too much. The Tranny is built around a 100mm suspension fork. That puts me around a 455mm A2C length rigid accounting for sag, but after accounting for the additiona 1.5" (38.1mm) from the rim, I think the 440mm A2C would fit better. This should give me a slightly aggressive angle while raising the BB height only a fraction. The tranny has a 12" BB height.

Frame: Ibis Tranny Medium
Fork: Ragley Carbon Fork - 15mm Dropout 440mm A2C
R Shifter: Shimano XT
Chain Guide MRP 1.X/Pauls Chain Keeper
R Derailleur Shimano XT 10 speed. Medium cage
Crank Set: Something with a removable spider. Shimano XT/SRAM X.*/MRP
Chainring: Spiderless Boone/HBC/MRP 32T or 34T
F Wheel: Stan's Crest 650b
R Wheel: Stan's Crest 26"
F Tire 650B: Not sure yet. Something aggressive around 2.3-2.4
R Tire 26": 2.1-2.2
Ride, crash, recover, and ride again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raganwald

by raganwald

I have a large tranny. I run Middleburn RS-7 cranks, and their 32t UNO spiderless chainring goes straight on. I'm looking at trying a Q-Ring this fall, so I've ordered a 104bcd four bolt spider that will work as well. They also have lighter RS-8 cranks, but the RS-7s have a do-anything (even trials or DH) warranty, so I went with them.

tambo731

by tambo731

I was looking at the Middleburn cranks. For the past two days, I've been focusing my research on which crankset to get. The RS-7/8s look good, and I like their spiderless chainrings. I'm having trouble finding someone that sells the RS8 with 170mm arm lengths. I don't see them on chainreactioncycles right now. Not too many places to buy Middleburn now a days.

Anybody have some good suggestions on a solid weightweenie crankset (removable spider)?
Ride, crash, recover, and ride again.