2012 Litespeed C1R frameset has arrived

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

First impression is simply WOW!!!! Amazing details, awesome naked carbon look, super quality. The thing seems so fragile!!!

I do not have yet the ww appropriate higher precision scale but on the fish scale the weight does not look as good as advertised

Item Claimed weight Actual weight
frame 950 1120
fork 350 410
headset 80 90
ISP clamp 120 170
-------------------------------------
TOTAL 1500 1790

Note: frame has uncut ISP and fork has uncut steerer tube.
More components are coming; I will be posting the progress including more accurate weight numbers. Ride and then race review will follow
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

It's a really awesome frame, I really love the part from the seatpost down to the rear triangle, quite heavy though. What size is it?

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Thx. It's a 54cm. Yes, I was a bit disappointed with the out of the box weight; hopefully I'll shave off 150 grams or so by trimming to my size.
www.tiremaniacs.com

by 2011

You have to realize it's a pretty beefy aero frame/fork. You don't see many beefy aero frames under 900g. Plus, that basically includes the seatpost (minus hardware) too. Once everything's all cut down, it's going to be pretty damn light.

I like the BB area.

RussellS

by RussellS

2011 wrote:Plus, that basically includes the seatpost (minus hardware) too. Once everything's all cut down, it's going to be pretty damn light.

He said the ISP clamp weighed 170 grams. I have a Cane Creek carbon seatpost that weighs close to that. That is for the entire seatpost. His clamp weighs about the same as my seatpost. It doesn't sound like the integrated seatpost/seattube saves any weight. Just adds due to the universally heavy clamps used.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

From where did you get the 'advertised' weights? I'm pretty sure Litespeed doesn't publish any.

I've got a sz L and the weight of yours is on par with mine. that seatpost head is a bit of a boat anchor, I Immediately too the drill to it to remove material.

FWIW my sz L built out to 15 lbs with a set of deep carbon tubies.

Super fast bike. I love mine.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

2011 wrote:You have to realize it's a pretty beefy aero frame/fork. You don't see many beefy aero frames under 900g. Plus, that basically includes the seatpost (minus hardware) too. Once everything's all cut down, it's going to be pretty damn light.

I like the BB area.

I am with you on this one. Not to compare anything but the measured weight of this frameset is practically identical to Venge S-Works. My slight disappointment came not from the higher than expected weight but higher than advertised; granted, the advertised weight came from the re-seller and not the manufacturer. Still, my build is on target for the 13.3 lb complete bike :D and the weight discrepancy is nothing compared to the quality and look of this frameset. Biggest question remains - will it ride as well as it's built? All indicates that yes but I won't say anything before I put first hundred miles on it
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

bigskyTi wrote:From where did you get the 'advertised' weights? I'm pretty sure Litespeed doesn't publish any.

I've got a sz L and the weight of yours is on par with mine. that seatpost head is a bit of a boat anchor, I Immediately too the drill to it to remove material.

FWIW my sz L built out to 15 lbs with a set of deep carbon tubies.

Super fast bike. I love mine.

I must say I had checked your posts on the subject of C1R before buying :lol: . The weight specs came from competitivecyclist.com web site (if you select the frameset size and color and click continue it will display the weight details). Yes, the seatpost head is massive. I am targeting my size M 13.3 lbs with the new Red, 404 FC tubies, 3T bars/stem, Blade Ti pedals and 2 carbon cages. Will be below UCI but then I don't race their sanctioned races :roll:
www.tiremaniacs.com

lechat

by lechat

Frame weight isn't bad, considering is massiveness, that fork is an anchor though.
As a side note, there was an article in the local paper about ABG, together with NASA, designing and building the titanium legs for the Mars rover.

Porschenut

by Porschenut

Whoa..the actual frame weighs almost 18% heavier than claimed? Jeez, that's not cool on Litespeed's part.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I need to mention here that the claimed weight is not from the manufacturer but the reseller - competitivecyclist. But check it out - realcyclist which has the same parent (backcountry.com) as competitivecyclist lists only the fork weight and lists it correctly at what I measured it to be.
I also am not preoccupied much with the fork weight as it is measured with 150mm sticking out above the headset. Some 100 mm will be chopped off :mrgreen: which will reduce the fork's weight substantially.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

More acquired stuff arrived:

- 2 Serfas CC-300 carbon cages, packaging printed weight - 22 grams/cage, manufacturer web site weight - 26 +/-/cage, actual weight - 25.2 grams each cage. Included bolts were heavy - 5.8 grams per set of 2. The bolts that came with the frame are 2.4 grams per set of 2. CC-300 are awesome - matte finish and very little coloring. They seem to be holding the bottles great.

- 2012 ZIPP 404 FC tubies Beyond Black. Claimed weight of 1,282 grams and actual weight of 1,311. Skewers are heavy at 77.3 grams per set. I might end up using Medfiber skewers (43.6 grams/set) I won at the some races.

- Maxxis 80 mm MVS valve extenders (for Vittorias Evo CX tubies) - 9.6 grams per set of 2

I missed one thing in my cals and underestimated the target weight :cry: . The new target is 13.8 lbs.
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Slowly coming to the end of the assembly.
Chopped the seatpost and steerer yesterday. Saved 37 grams on the frame and 35 on the fork. Most of the components weight is as advertised. Biggest differences:

- new 2012 Sram red crank (170 mm 53/39) is 549 grams instead of 557 :D
- 3T ARX LTD stem is 128 grams instead of 114 :(
- 3T Ergonova TEAM black edition bars are 252 grams instead of 240 :(
- air in inflated tires weights too :mrgreen:
www.tiremaniacs.com

plpete

by plpete

looking forward to seeing the final product! The frame alone looks fast :lol:

ricerocket

by ricerocket

I have a C2 and I love mine. Not super weight weenie, but I can hit 15s with some tubies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com