Super Record EPS vs Record EPS, worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ufgators

by Ufgators

I am buying only the upgrade kit for EPS, the front and rear derailleurs, the cabling, shifters and battery interface. I know the only difference between Record and Super Record EPS is the shifters and derailleurs. Is it worth my extra 450 dollars to go for Super Record EPS for the ceramic pulleys and whatnot and the extra 5 grams of weight savings? I appreciate everyone's input.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Imo: no. Too much money for too little performance. The 450$ premium is mostly for getting the word super on the parts.

I'd rather spend the money on proper maintenance (replacing chains, cables, housing, tires etc), or save up for a power meter or a coach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

You will not notice any difference with the two systems. Matter of fact, the SR is a big waste of money and no one could justify spending that extra money for what you are getting.

That said, I would by the Super Record hands down. I have had the Super Record groupset since I was mowing yards when I was a kid in the late 70's and have the current SR groupset. I should have my SR EPS upgrade kit by the end of the year. Life is short, work hard, and buy what you want.

Ufgators

by Ufgators

Butcher wrote:You will not notice any difference with the two systems. Matter of fact, the SR is a big waste of money and no one could justify spending that extra money for what you are getting.

That said, I would by the Super Record hands down. I have had the Super Record groupset since I was mowing yards when I was a kid in the late 70's and have the current SR groupset. I should have my SR EPS upgrade kit by the end of the year. Life is short, work hard, and buy what you want.

Just for the bling factor?

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Heck yeah! If you can afford it then buy it for the bling. Otherwise everytime you look at your parts that only say Record you think damn I just wish they were "super"

:thumbup: :beerchug: :noidea:

LEC135

by LEC135

Is it worth it - NO

Should you buy it - Probably.

I did the same with standard Record vs SR and knowing no real performance difference convinced myself to go with Record and look 'proper' then spent my time in the pack looking at everyone else's SR and regretted it!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I'm holding out for Ultra Record. It will be better than Super Record, because it will be Ultra, rather than just Super.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

On Super Record at least one jockey pulley is using ceramic ball bearings vs ceramic bushings. The Record uses 2 ceramic bushings. These bushings exhibit much more drag and need to be maintained with oil. You can always tell when they need oil as they start to squeal and the increased friction is noticeable.

I wish Super Record would offer Ceramic Ball Bearings on both pulleys. Maybe they will offer this on Ultra Record.

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

Ufgators wrote:I am buying only the upgrade kit for EPS, the front and rear derailleurs, the cabling, shifters and battery interface. I know the only difference between Record and Super Record EPS is the shifters and derailleurs. Is it worth my extra 450 dollars to go for Super Record EPS for the ceramic pulleys and whatnot and the extra 5 grams of weight savings? I appreciate everyone's input.

One way to look at it---save that extra costs for SuperRecord and use the savings for "Crank Upgrade". So instead of using a Campy Record Crank, go with THM Clavicular (or M3) crank. Skip that Campy Chain and get the KMC Chain (cost the same but lighter).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There was a time when super record meant some black paint on the front front mech. I have one of those and it it super just for that. At least now there are more than cometic differences between the two groups.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

HammerTime2 wrote:I'm holding out for Ultra Record. It will be better than Super Record, because it will be Ultra, rather than just Super.

Haha! Count me in too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com