Custom Zukas Lugged Steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ckyle

by ckyle

Still need to do some adjusting to the bars and cut down the steerer tube. If the rain will ever stop I can ride....

Specs:
Lugged steel frame from Nate Zukas, True temper S3 top and downtube, OX Plat. headtube, Columbus chainstays, Aircraft 4130 seatstays and seat tube.
Chris King headset
Nokon black/gold brake/shift cables, internally routed
TRP R970SL JPS Limited Edition brakes
Campy Record w/ Fulcrum RS crankset
ENVE bars, 1.0 fork and 3.4 Smart tubulars laced to Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs
Zipp SL Stem
Selle Italia SLR ti saddle
Salsa ti skewers
Look Keo carbon blades
Lizard Skin tape

Weight 15lbs 10oz with heavy Schwalbe 300+g Montello tubulars, lol...terrible tires; but I needed something for now.

Not typical WW stuff; but, it's not too bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

May I ask the cost for the frame(set) ?
Turn around time?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Neat bike!

Can you explain how the internal routing works?
Are the brakes run full length with housings, or just the cable inside the top tube?
Are the shift cables internal too? Likewise are they just c ables in the frame, or did you run them with liners, or with liners and nokon housings?

Can you show more pics of the cable entry and exit points? Does the RD cable exit the inside top of the chainstay?

Thanks, it is unusual to see internal shift cables in a steel frame, so I am curious how yours operates.

I don;t mean to be picky, but I would dump that crank for a '10 SR or current Chorus (which both have white lettering, no red), or perhaps sand and refinish that Fulcrum crank. On such a clean and elegant build that crankset is a distraction.

Werdna

by Werdna

I have to agree with Reggie, the crank is the first thing I saw. Such a beautiful bike deserves a matching crankset.

ckyle

by ckyle

The internal cables, both brakes and shifter, use a full Nokon liner through the frame and Nokon beads up to the cable stops, where the liner continues through the frame. The rear derailleur cable runs through the BB shell into the chainstay, and the front runs through the BB shell into a small tube that exits the BB shell.

It has been raining almost non-stop for days; I haven't been able to ride yet. As far as shifting, quite a few of his bikes are like this and being raced and ridden; so, I assume it works. He built his own birthday bike just before mine and it is like this.

As for the crankset, Zukas is going to paint it. I want to ride a few times before sending it to him.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

I am sure the shifting works flawlessly, it is a neat implementation and looks superb.

mosovich

by mosovich

Nate does great work.. contact him at nzukas@yahoo.com He'll be glad to answer any questions.. I just got my cross bike from him.. Beautiful!!

mrfish

by mrfish

Really nice - good combination of frame design, lug details and paint which shows of the craftsmanship of the builder and good taste of the client.

I think painting the crank is a good idea - perhaps clear with a multicolour band to echo the one on the seat tube?

Other than that, I would think about toning down the details like the gold and green anodised bits and switch to black, pewter or sliver to let the paler gold and green of the frame speak for itself. Also a white or cream saddle and tape might tie in with the white inner stays. Sorry for turning into biketart, but I'm sure he will chime in soon ;-)

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun on this bike.

kgt

by kgt

+1 on crankset. Not sure about the green skewers as well.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The most important thing about any bike is the fit and I am pleased that you seem to have focused on this - I am guessing you are quite small and getting a good fit with an off the peg bike was maybe not possible.

ckyle

by ckyle

Yes, fit was one of the reasons for going with a custom frame; but, to be honest, I based it off of my Tarmac geometry. I'm small, 5'5"; but fairly proportionate. the effective top tube is 520mm and I run a 110mm stem; this one being -17degrees. The fit challenge that I have is getting the bars low enough. That headtube is about as small as it can be.

Went on the maiden voyage last night, and the bike was super smooth and quite comfortable. The ENVE/Alchemy wheelset spins up very quickly and rolls smooth and fast. They feel very stable. I need to make a few adjustments to fit; the hoods need to rotate up a hair and I've removed the small spacer under the stem.

I'm in agreement with the gold Nokons. The nice thing about Nokons is you can rearrange the beads and change up colors. I'm probably going to make them mostly black, with a few gold beads in there.

Last night, we had an extended period of 30mph on a flat section and the bike felt smooth and stable. There's a rough road that almost is like cobbles, and that was quite smoothed out, compared to my carbon bikes.

I also put on the other Lezyne bottle cage for tomorrow's long ride. I really like these cages; they're relatively light and hold bottles very well. They just don't match very well. :(

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Did Nate do the custom finish on your TRPs as well? They look very posh.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Wowee, a beaut!!! Now I want one too... :thumbup:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

speedwobbles wrote:Did Nate do the custom finish on your TRPs as well? They look very posh.

Tektro Racing Products do a black/gold 'John Player Special' finish on some of their brakes. I guess there is someone in the company who grew up watching F1 in the 1970's/1980's.

ckyle

by ckyle

Valbrona wrote:
speedwobbles wrote:Did Nate do the custom finish on your TRPs as well? They look very posh.

Tektro Racing Products do a black/gold 'John Player Special' finish on some of their brakes. I guess there is someone in the company who grew up watching F1 in the 1970's/1980's.

Yes, these are the special edition version with the gold accents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com