budget tt front wheel, easton ea90tt or kinlin 380

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NGMN

by NGMN

If you were looking for a budget tt/tri front wheel, which would you take:
- Easton EA90 TT
- Kinlin XR380 on Soul Kozak aero front hub
- Campy/Fulcrum 35mm wheelset
- save pennies for who knows how long

I really wasn't too sure about the aerodynamics of the EA90 tt, but in the 2010 Tour Mag test their aerodynamics are surprisingly good (better than the numbers the Zipp 101 put up in 2011 and in the range of a few 45-50mm rims such as mavic carbone). Seems to me if I wanted to do better than the above I'd need to save up a fair bit of money. The Kinlin with it's extra depth and width on a similarly narrow hub would be better, maybe?

The Campy is the cheapest option(get the wheelset for the cost of the Kinlin front and a bit less than the Easton), has a depth that splits the difference.

Final part of the decision is that the Eastons and Campy/Fulcrum would come as a full wheelset that I could run the wheelset on my road bike, whereas the 380 I'd just save for riding on the front for tt/tri.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I would throw in a vote for the Kinlin build. The 380 is an extremely stiff rim, and seems to be able to take quite a bit of abuse. I can't vouch for the Soul hub seeing as I haven't built on one in a long time. Do you know what lacing pattern you would run if you went with this build?

NGMN

by NGMN

Likely 20, radial. I am light, 135lbs, and it would see limited use. If I could get the wheel in 18 spoke, I'd probably even go that route.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

NGMN wrote:Likely 20, radial. I am light, 135lbs, and it would see limited use. If I could get the wheel in 18 spoke, I'd probably even go that route.

20 hole in a radial should be more than sufficient, considering your weight too.

mrfish

by mrfish

I would recommend either
1) saving for last year's big thing wheels and buying them second hand, as honestly the latest carbon rims are not massively faster than last year's v-shaped rims. I'm personally very happy with my Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates (OK more for road / climbing not TTs) bought here
2) get something deep from Planet X when they have a good deal on
3) go really cheap with a set of Shimano R500 wheels and maybe a disc cover for the rear. The early version has a nice round profile, 16 bladed spokes and was practically indestructible. Surprisingly aero for < £100 for a pair of wheels.

I would bet that option 3 plus a powertap and 6 months of training would beat option 1 hands down.

kavitator

by kavitator

kinlin xr 380 with 16 sapim cx ray spokes radial - very fast wheel and strong

grid256

by grid256

Hed Jet 6 or 9 from ebay.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Get a hed3 from Ebay/ Secondhand £200 is about right. still up there aerodynamically and bullet proof builds.
~850-900g for the alloy rim tub version.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

kavitator wrote:kinlin xr 380 with 16 sapim cx ray spokes radial - very fast wheel and strong

Where can one find the Kinlin XR-380 in a 16 hole version? All the on-line sources I've found have the XR-380 only in 20 holes and above.

Snicks

by Snicks

I must admit I saw one of those kinlin's the other day and was very impressed by what seemed to be great build quality, haven't ridden one though.

What about a cheapie rip-off carbon? Search the forum for '50mm clincher 500mile review' as one of the guys was giving a Chinese wheel set he built up a pretty good wrap! Good value as well!

*Edit: damn autocorrect*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com