Slammed stems...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

So I've lowered my stem to provide some better "stability" as I feel it. My goal was to lower the feel of my ride and get lower to the ground.
The thought of better positioning and aero were secondary but after a short test ride i did feel the stability i wanted and was wondering if lower and flipping would be better? :noidea:

After a bit if searching, reading through this thread and discovering the STS philosophy, I am still a bit confused if the decision to slam is an aesthetic goal or of there is more stability, and the benefit of a better aero/power position.

my current setup is a 72.5 HT, 7 degree rise stem at 70mm on one spacer and tall headset cover.

(I had tried an 80mm but felt stretched to reach to the hoods)

Thanks!
On Plastic Existence

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

There are multiple reasons that people will do it...some for performance...some cosmetic.

Do it if your physiology allows it. Theres no point in doing so if its going to make your bike unrideable.

Colonia

by Colonia

Hawkwood wrote:
ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

And it's pros riding like this as well. I've got a photo at home of some big pro race on the continent and they're all on the drops with elbows practically locked, and they're not looking too aero either. One of the best low positions I've ever seen has been of Roger de Vlaeminck, was his stem slammed? No. Was his position aero? Yes. Did he win lots of races? Yes.

As much as I hate the "slam-that-stem" crowd (and their dopey fashion accessories), you can't compare De Vlaeminck to make your point. Hoods sat about 2.5-3 cm lower than the average sti or ergo shifter of today, thus frames were sized up, which made the drops the default position for most riding. His drop position equals the modern hoods position -- a comfortable aero position for most situations.

Yes the drops are super low today, but tolerable for most people for limited stints. You can also get a shallow bar to ease the pain.

TheWizard3000

by TheWizard3000

Ill jump on the bandwagon with my old Allez, I did cut the steerer in the end, and get rid of the ugliest seat post of all time! I found it much more comfortable combined with the obvious aero benefit.

Guibarhu

by Guibarhu

Pro's don't always ride slammed stems...look at the pics that I get during Ghent 6 days two years ago...tons of spacers,flipped stems...and we are talking about track cycling where bikes get a lot of stress...and the most important bikes don't have brake hoods so you have to be always on the curve of the handlebar(many people that ride slammed stems are not able to rode more than 2 minutes on the lower position of their bikes,don't try to look like a pro unless you are a pro :lol: :lol: :lol: )

JLFast

by JLFast

I slammed mine on my Pinarello Prince tonight, certainly looks 'cool'; we'll see in the morning how it rides. Now.... do I trim the top of my forks too or not?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Maybe try riding it before you cut the stem and go "all in" unless you don't mind buying a new fork.

Edit: meant "steerer", not "stem".
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Not only will I not be slamming my stem on my new bike - which should be arriving tomorrow, I may actually flip it up.

For someone who has legs as long as I do, and such a short torso by comparison, it is nearly impossible to slam a stem. And in my mind, fit and performance are way more important than looks.

I'll post photos when it's done.

PSM

by PSM

I don't consider a stem slammed when you have 2-4 spacers above it. Is it just for the picture ? :/

Or am I wrong ?

JLFast

by JLFast

I agree PSM.... Im going to ride mine this morning, and then probably cut if it feels ok.

TheWizard3000

by TheWizard3000

Agreed. I cut mine a couple of days later. Sold it in the end so don't have a picture of it like that I'm afraid.

ergott

by ergott

Yes, the steerer will be cut when I get around to it. I've been riding it slammed for the last year now. I went from a 130mm stem with 2cm spacers to the current 120mm stem.

Last edited by ergott on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roberto21

by roberto21

my Scott Foil 20

pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

ergott wrote:Yes, the steerer will be cut when I get around to it. I've been riding it slammed for the last year now. I went from a 130mm stem with 2cm spacers to the current 120mm stem.

Oh my........I want a Spooky soooo bad. I should just buy one and just shut up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com