mavic yksion griplink/powerlink tubular 1/2 off

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ricorob

by ricorob

Why do you suppose there are online vendors dumping these tubulars? I've seen them in numerous places for 1/2 off. Garmin rode them in the US Pro Challenge, so they can't be that bad?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ricorob wrote:Why do you suppose there are online vendors dumping these tubulars? I've seen them in numerous places for 1/2 off. Garmin rode them in the US Pro Challenge, so they can't be that bad?

New version on the way perhaps?

duodiscus

by duodiscus

I've been stocking up on these since I like them quite a bit.

BTW, the Mavic branded tubulars on the Garmin squad are really Veloflex the last time I looked first-hand (which was at the 2012 TOC).

ricorob

by ricorob

So does that mean the Mavic wheels are re-branded Lightweights? Such deception!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I got the email from CC about them being 50% off, so I was thinking about picking up some too. Curious to see what people think about them...

duodiscus

by duodiscus

So does that mean the Mavic wheels are re-branded Lightweights? Such deception!

No, the Mavic wheels used by Garmin, Liquigas, and Katusha are true Cosmic Carbone Ultimates that you can buy through any authorized Mavic dealer.

You'll notice that lately the CCUs used by the teams often have 3 long yellow stickers on them that say "Special Service Course". The way it was explained to me is that those CCUs are specially selected off the assembly line as the lightest CCUs and given to the teams they sponsor.

(I wanted to add that the 12K carbon weave on the CCUs is a dead giveaway that they're NOT Lightweights when you look at photos of the bikes.)

headwind816

by headwind816

I have been on a pair since May, and I have to say that they are good, no great, for the price. The tires are supple, grippy on the sides for cornering, and above average protection. I put over a 1,000 miles with only a little wear. The tires have held up well for the crappy roads around here. I can go about 36 hrs before I feel the need to air my tires back up. I have raced on them in crits, circuits, and roads.

I cannot speak towards the ability to handle wet or rainy conditions though.

rc32

by rc32

Waiting to try mine out.

I got two pairs (plus an additional two pairs of the clincher ones) but I haven't had time to mount them up and check them out. Also , it's been raining here a lot for the last couple of weeks.

I don't think they're Veloflex since they have the Made in Thailand stamp. THey look like a cross between the Panaracer Extreme Jet (which I believe were made in the Lyon factory in Thailand) and some of the higher end Challenge tires.

I'll try and glue them up soon and see how they are.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Yes there is a new version of the tire, see it here I test rode them last week. From what i have been told it's the same tire with a different tread pattern.

I also did a review of the clinchers earlier in the year here: http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... k-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essentially they are Vittoria Diamate Pro with modified tread pattern and custom per Mavic rubber compound. The tubular s are essentially EVO CX.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

rc32

by rc32

Rescuing this thread to follow up on my earlier comment.

I finally got around to gluing the Yksion GRipLink/Powerlink tires I bought in the summer to my Corima Aeros. Like I mentioned in my previous post, they appear to be made in the Challenge factory and they ride very similar to the Challenge tires I've had in the past. Although these seem to have better grip. I've only done a 40 km ride on them but I have a race tomorrow where I'll use them and will be able to give some more feedback.

Now, I also bought two sets of the newer version Yksions (the ones with the tread pattern shown in cwdzoot's picture) and I can definitely tell you that they're not made by the Vittoria factory. These do not have a center seam under the base tape. The casing feels good, in a COnti competition kind of way. Final clue as to who precisely makes them, the stamp on the tread that says " MADE IN CZ" :shock: :shock:

I just bought a set of Bontrager XXX Lite carbon tubular wheels and I'll probably glue these tires to those wheels. I'll post additional feedback then.

indywagon

by indywagon

So, does that mean they're Tufos? Help me out here!
Chris

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Not many of the teams that were sponsored by mavic that had these tires actually ran them. They were notoriously not grippy or confident.

But I don't know about the new tread patterns. But I would imagine that is definitely why they are on sale everywhere.
Just ride ..

rc32

by rc32

indywagon wrote:So, does that mean they're Tufos? Help me out here!
Chris

Yup.

As a follow up, I had that race this morning using the Mavic tires...they actually worked pretty well. Nothing earth shattering but they were comfortable, seemed to roll nicely and allowed me to be pretty confident diving into both U-turns of the race. The pavement was pretty bad in some spots, with many small potholes that claimed several tires (and one Cosmic Carbone SL rim!) along the way. Zero cuts on mine.

So far, so good.

otoman

by otoman

Deal. Breaker. :|
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

rc32

by rc32

otoman wrote:Deal. Breaker. :|

Note that the ones I'm trying out now are the ones that at least appear to be made by Challenge. I haven't tried the ones that seem to be made by Tufo yet (the ones with the tread like the one shown in cdwzoot's picture in this thread).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com