New race wheels for 2013 - what?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Zen Cyclery wrote:Seem to be quite a few threads on RBR about brand new LW's having true variance of up to 3mm. Seems kinda ridiculous considering the pricetag.

We control 100% of our wheels before shipping. All tubular wheels have a tolerance of 0.4mm, only Meilenstein C have a tolerance 0f 0.5mm for trueness.
If not seriously damaged, our wheels stay there for a lifetime, in some cases they'll move for about 0.1 or 0.2mm.
So - if there really is a wheel with considerably more than 0.4mm untrueness - this is a clear hint that the wheel is damaged.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keong72

by keong72

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
Zen Cyclery wrote:Seem to be quite a few threads on RBR about brand new LW's having true variance of up to 3mm. Seems kinda ridiculous considering the pricetag.

We control 100% of our wheels before shipping. All tubular wheels have a tolerance of 0.4mm, only Meilenstein C have a tolerance 0f 0.5mm for trueness.
If not seriously damaged, our wheels stay there for a lifetime, in some cases they'll move for about 0.1 or 0.2mm.
So - if there really is a wheel with considerably more than 0.4mm untrueness - this is a clear hint that the wheel is damaged.

Sorry for one question, if I buy used LW wheel set how the warranty issue?can I registered the wheel set?

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I'm using 2012 404 FC right now. I have crashed them once and they are a bit out of true. If I'm going to use Zipps again I'll get somebody to rebuild them for me and add black stickers.

I have concidered the Madfibers as well, but I must say I'm not in love with the looks... The price for them here in Norway is 2800€ for them.

I'm still not smarter. I guess Zipps would be the sensible choise, LW the sexy and "heart-following" choise and Bora the aesthetic choice... :mrgreen:

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

keong72 wrote:Sorry for one question, if I buy used LW wheel set how the warranty issue?can I registered the wheel set?

=> http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=896212#p896212
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Registration
  • it does not matter if the wheels had been registered before or not. We have dropped the 8-weeks-timeframe for that some months ago. Now everybody can register his wheels, no matter if he is the first or third owner, no matter when they had been purchased.
  • with registration, you get the right to get CrashReplacement, and e.g. you can give us notice if the wheels had been stolen
  • to check if the wheels are registered we only need to know the chipnumbers and so can check if they are or not. So - if you provide us the numbers (mailto: support[at]lightweight.info) - we'll check that.
  • a third owner has neither advantage nor disadvantage if they had been registered by the first owner.

For further information feel free to visit our homepage!

KWalker

by KWalker

I've ridden all of those but the Enves. I think that Boras are a great race wheel and highly underrated. They hold speed very, very well, they're stiff, the hubs are incredible, and they're bomb proof. I'm not sure that I can think of a wheel that has more pro victories to its name and is still in use.

I test rode a set of Gen III's for a while and felt that, as a race wheel, they weren't what I wanted because they didn't seem to hold speed very well, the hubs were OK, but not great, and the braking wasn't as good. All of that could have changed with the new versions so I can't really comment on those, but I personally would get 2 sets of Boras for the price of one set of LWs (or one Bora and one Hyperon or something similar. They just ride awesome, end of story. LWs accelerate fast and are stiff, but that's about it.

My sprint is higher than yours and I have some 808 FCs and they did develop hub slack after a few races, however, this is noted in the instruction manual and since tightening them to take the slack out I've had no problems. I don't know your weight and how you ride, which makes a difference but mine have had 0 flexibility problems although I run my pads further out just because I always have.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Dozer

by Dozer

Martin.F wrote:I have concidered the Madfibers as well, but I must say I'm not in love with the looks... The price for them here in Norway is 2800€ for them.

Their looks are kind of polarizing - either you like them or you don't. As an other data point, I paid 2300 USD for a set of standard bearing clinchers MFs this summer. I know you aren't considering them, but more cost data can't hurt.

Any option to buy wheels abroad and have them shipped to you or pick them while on a trip? I do that regularly depending on price savings and my travels.

Also, if you like the 404s but not their stiffness, any option to build with thicker stiffer spokes and stiffer hubs? I don't have any personal experience with such a build, but you should be able to make a significant difference in stiffness that way.

KWalker

by KWalker

If I had my way I'd build up my 404's like Cav's- DA hubs (or maybe an Alchemy rear in this case), laced 2x with Sapim Race DS and Rays NDS rear with CX-Rays front laced radial.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Zen Cyclery wrote:
reggiebaseball wrote:
Listen, Lightweights are BUILT for professionals to RACE at the highest level. They are NOT fragile. They have something called ServiceUp which for a 10% premium protects your wheels from just about everything for 3 years.

The only people who would ever counsel you against Lightweights have never owner or ridden them. seriously. I mean this. They are THAT much better than anything else.

Seem to be quite a few threads on RBR about brand new LW's having true variance of up to 3mm. Seems kinda ridiculous considering the pricetag.

Zen,
You are a novice who has been selling wheels to RBR forum members as a living for four years now.
You barely know wtf you are talking about, and half of your posts about wheels require an actual professional like ergott to post a follow up cleaning up your blatant misinformation.
Please just shut up about things you know nothing about , Lightweights in specific.

Quoting some second hand bs you "heard" on a internet forum that is 1000x noise to signal as a means to scare people is just obnoxious. You make enough off the idiots that post there, stop trolling for work here.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

reggiebaseball wrote:Zen,
You are a novice who has been selling wheels to RBR forum members as a living for four years now.
You barely know wtf you are talking about, and half of your posts about wheels require an actual professional like ergott to post a follow up cleaning up your blatant misinformation.
Please just shut up about things you know nothing about , Lightweights in specific.

Quoting some second hand bs you "heard" on a internet forum that is 1000x noise to signal as a means to scare people is just obnoxious. You make enough off the idiots that post there, stop trolling for work here.

Yeah Roues Artisanales knows nothing about wheels. :roll:

Read the Wear and Tear Section of this article.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php ... ightweight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read the Precision section lower in this article.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-6638769.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

This was a while ago, but the first pair of obermeyers i sold came back a month later with a large (maybe 5mm?) variance. It was not a localised area out of line, rather it seemed the hub was out of position. Left to right movement was sinusoidal. Sent it back, came back much better, but still... Zen may know what he is talking about.
Edit: and the brakes pulsed and bearings were fried in 8months.
Current ones do seem a lot better, however.

Arky

by Arky

I too am tired of hearing zen knocking the competition. I do not care if he brings knowledge to the forum about his own products, but the constant tearing down of prebuilts has gotten old.

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell, he gives love advice. :wink:

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Zen Cyclery wrote:Yeah Roues Artisanales knows nothing about wheels. :roll:

Read the Wear and Tear Section of this article.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php ... ightweight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=> "Review - November 3, 2004
[...]As mentioned above, the testing period wasn't quite long enough to beat these wheels to death, as I prefer to do in my reviews. I did try, and although I didn't willfully seek out potholes, I didn't give the Lightweights the cotton wool treatment. At the end of the review, the rear wheel was a little out of true, and I wasn't inclined to pull the tyre off to try to fiddle with it. I'll leave that to the experts, as I'd glued the tyres on in accordance with Cyclingnews' tubular mounting guidelines and they weren't coming off in a hurry. And I don't honestly know whether the wheel went out of true due to normal riding or transporting it from Gent to Verona on the train...[...]

Read the Precision section lower in this article.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-6638769.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=> "922g of heaven… - Le 17 mai 2007
[...]The precision
Regarding the trueness, the roundness and the dish, Lightweight wheels aren’t perfect. They are more out of true than standard hand-made wheels that have been trued and dished for a long time. This is caused by the cooking process, the wheel shape is almost done when it leaves the oven and it has to be slightly adjusted by hand then. However, this doesn’t have any negative impact on the functionning and the braking because it is still very low. Yes, there is no need to worry about the trueness and the roundness. But about the dish, it is a bit more worrying since it could affect a little the balance of the bike.[...]"

Please stop posting tests or reviews about wheels we built 5 or 8 years ago.
You were talking about "quite a few threads on RBR about brand new LW's having true variance of up to 3mm. Seems kinda ridiculous considering the pricetag."
Neither in the first nor in the second review you linked to I could find something like that.

There might be a wheel that is claimed to be "untrue", but in most cases this is caused e.g. by
  • wrong measuring
  • measuring not the rim but the badly glued tire
  • serious damage to the wheel

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I have to say I agree with Carbonsports/LW here. It's unfair to bring up results from 5-8 years ago. I do however agree with Zen cycles in that it's ridicolous to make a 3mm out of true wheelset at that price. Which also happens to be the reason why I believe that the reports of wheels this untrue is due to damage, wrong measurements or whatever. I find it hard to believe that LW ships out a wheelset that much out of true.

NOW

I've recieved 1 suggestion besides the ones I mentioned myself. Are really Madfibers the only wheelset that can compete with the listed?

The Enves are out. It's too similar to my current 404s that it's not worth the bucks.

Corima Aero+ mcc are in. They look cool, how good are they? Good enough to win olympic gold ofc, but that's because of sponsorship.

Geoff

by Geoff

I dunno, but my LW Standards are things of beauty. I am a bit lighter than you and only produce 1,200 watts, but they are plenty stiff for me. I think I would choose an aero race wheel if I only had one choice. I find the Hed 9 with a spare Hed 6 front to be an 'all-purpose' race and TT set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com