All I Want is a Pump That Works ...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

taina

by taina

Putting a standard presta-to-schrader adaptor on the valve core gives a taller, wider-circumference cylinder for pliers to grip. After tightening the core, the adaptor comes off easily.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nooski

by nooski

I highly recommend SKS Rennkompressor with EVA head. The head is able to stand more than 17 bars even on threadless valve extender.
Attachments
562837_336091146445846_741369672_n.jpg
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

+1 Hirame. Costs as much as a whole pump, but whatever pump you put it on becomes a superhero.

swinter

by swinter

I have a more recent Silca superpista (7 or 8 years old?) with the wooden handle and a bell shaped brass and plastic presta head. (It ends with the brass ring encompassing the washer.) Never had a problem. The washer wears out over time. I've replaced the head once, but I think you can just replace the washer.

I do find it works best with unthreaded valve stems. But it works with pretty much every kind of tube I've used.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

GZA

by GZA

speedwobbles wrote:+1 Hirame. Costs as much as a whole pump, but whatever pump you put it on becomes a superhero.

+2. 150 psi into a disc wheel becomes a one handed operation. Best money I've spent on cycling in years.

mrfish

by mrfish

Surely for travel use, the idea is to pump your tyre at home with a track pump, then only top it up if necessary using your frame pump? If you use butyl tubes, the tyres will only lose a couple of psi each day, so you could start at 120psi, then last a whole week quite easily.

The old-school continental pro solution is to use a Zefal HPX (an all-aluminium pump with locking head) stowed parallel with the top tube or seat stay if your frame is 56 or below, or seat tube if larger.