Wippermann Connex Link for Campy 10 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goldmine848

by goldmine848

Time for new Wippermann Connex links for my Campy 10 speed system. When last I purchased some there were two for 10 speeds: one marked "10 speed" and one marked "10S1." The 10S1 was best for UN chains. In searching for new links I only see one model offered and the description says it works with all 10 speed systems. Does anyone know if there now is just the single model?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

campy's 10sp chain used to be wider than shimano/sram's 10sp chains. then campy came out with their "ultra narrow" 10sp chains, which ran quieter. theyre all practically the same width now. so theres only one 10sp link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

While all modern 10 speed chains are now the same 5.9mm in width across the outside, they are not all the same width across the inner plates, so mixing brands of chains and master links will yield different amounts of side clearance.

Shimano, KMC and Wipperman all have about the same width across the inner plates, the last time I measured them, while SRAM and Campy were both about .1mm narrower.

Using a Wipperman connex link with the narrower chain brands will produce more side clearance than the other links on the chain. There is only one width of 10 speed connex link in current production.

goldmine848

by goldmine848

is the current link the narrower of the two that were offered previously...the one i am using now works fine with my Campy chain

DaveS

by DaveS

goldmine848 wrote:is the current link the narrower of the two that were offered previously...the one i am using now works fine with my Campy chain

No, since Wipperman, Shimano and KMC are the wider models, it means that Wipperman no longer makes the narrower version that they use to refer to as "Shimano compatible".

The SRAM link should be the narrowest, but it always pays to measure, since manufacturers may make changes without notice.

I like to see a side clearance in the .004-.008 inch or .1-.2mm range and use feeler gages to check.

goldmine848

by goldmine848

Well I just looked at the box and it says they are 6.1mm. They seem to work fine with the Campy chain.

DaveS

by DaveS

You must have bought new-old-stock chains. Wipperman hasn;t made 6.1mm width chains for quite a few years.

http://www.connexchain.com/Bicycle-chai ... 1_326.html

goldmine848

by goldmine848

sorry for the confusion...I meant that the Connex links are 6.1 and I am using them with current Campy chains

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

i used shiomano 10 speed model with great success

audiojan

by audiojan

Skip the Wippermann and get a KMC instead... works much better.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

DaveS

by DaveS

I've always found the wipperman link to work well and it's the easiest to remove. You just have to remember to install it in the correct direction. The KMC link does not remove as easily and some are not recommended for reuse. I figure that as long as the link has some snap left to it, when reconnected, it's probably OK to reuse.

IRD makes links for 10 and 11 speed that have a similar shape to the wipperman.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com