Dura Ace 9000 FD compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimmS

by TimmS

Has anyone tried to match the new dura ace 9000 fd to a sram force groupset?

The long arm and low weight seem like a two in one upgrade

thanks in advance...

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Hopefully it's at least going to work with 7900.

I got to ride the new group this week and the front shifting is best on the market for mechanical. No questions about that.

Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Unless I leave a bit of slack in the cable to the front deraileur on her road bike, the wife has a heck of time shifting into the big ring with 7900 and I have yet to figure out the setup for 7900 for her to get successful front shifts on her cross bike!
cwdzoot wrote:Hopefully it's at least going to work with 7900.

Assuming you meant the 9000 front deraileur with 7900 shifters, anbyone know if shifting improvements are due only to the longer lever arm of the 9000 front mech or is the imrpovement require both the 9000 shifter and front deraileur?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Theres no way the 9000 fd will work with older systems, unless they carefully matched the arm length/pinch bolt placement to allow you to run the cable under the pinch bolt instead of over it. But then, what's the point?
As far as needing to leave slack in the fd cable on 7900, yes, you have to do that, esp if youre using non-shimano cranks. Thats just how it is, nothing wrong with that.

bluesea

by bluesea

cwdzoot wrote:Hopefully it's at least going to work with 7900.

I got to ride the new group this week and the front shifting is best on the market for mechanical. No questions about that.

The crank looks more businesslike from that angle than earlier preview shots. No complaints here, visually.

ms6073

by ms6073

thisisatest wrote:unless they carefully matched the arm length/pinch bolt placement to allow you to run the cable under the pinch bolt instead of over it.
Sorry, not following. From the image above, it looks to me as if the lever arm on the derailleur is a bit 'taller' than for 7900 but I dont see why that would require a different cable routing for the pinch bolt.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like those new cranks visually, never like the last generation of shimano cranks.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

ms6073 wrote:
thisisatest wrote:unless they carefully matched the arm length/pinch bolt placement to allow you to run the cable under the pinch bolt instead of over it.
Sorry, not following. From the image above, it looks to me as if the lever arm on the derailleur is a bit 'taller' than for 7900 but I dont see why that would require a different cable routing for the pinch bolt.

to effectively shorten the arm. it's a common trick when trying to match up, say, a road shifter with a mtb front derailleur. normally the shifter would not move the der far enough.
just looked at the pic more closely, interesting that it looks like the fd cable does go under the pinch bolt as it is.

TimmS

by TimmS

If it works for 7900 it will also work for sram force right?

I couldn't find a compatibility charge for 7900 and 9000.

Otherwise i will try the new sram red fd

plpete

by plpete

TimmS wrote:Has anyone tried to match the new dura ace 9000 fd to a sram force groupset?

The long arm and low weight seem like a two in one upgrade

thanks in advance...

Why not try the new Sram RED Yaw FD since you're running a Sram group set. I have it set up with the original Force shifters on a force crank with Rotor q rings and shifting is perfect.

TimmS

by TimmS

I was planning to give the new red a try which is a little porky, then I saw the weight of de 9000 fd at 66gr claimed, afterall this is weightweenies...

ms6073

by ms6073

thisisatest wrote:to effectively shorten the arm. it's a common trick when trying to match up, say, a road shifter with a mtb front derailleur. normally the shifter would not move the der far enough.
Sort of topic drift but intrigued by the descriptions of effortless shiting, over the weekend, I modified a Speen Umlenker 7800 so that instead of converting from a bottom pull, it effectively increased the length of the arm on the 7900 front deraileur on the wife's cross bike. While it took some 'fine tuning' with a flat file to get it right, my wife can now shift the Wickwerks 44/34 chainrings like butter.
- Michael

v70cat

by v70cat

Is the Sram RED Yaw FD compatible with Dura-Ace 7800 shifters and 7900 compact crank?

I have had problems with my 7800 FD ever since I added a 7900 compact crank, it was supposed to be compatible but it has been a dropped chain nightmare.

From what I can tell the 9000 FD is not compatible?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agreed on that crank looking much improved. I never cared for the 7900.

TimmS wrote:I was planning to give the new red a try which is a little porky, then I saw the weight of de 9000 fd at 66gr claimed, afterall this is weightweenies...

:noidea:

I'd still run the YAW FD if it weighed a pound... this thing performs fantastic.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

v70cat wrote:Is the Sram RED Yaw FD compatible with Dura-Ace 7800 shifters and 7900 compact crank?

I have had problems with my 7800 FD ever since I added a 7900 compact crank, it was supposed to be compatible but it has been a dropped chain nightmare.

From what I can tell the 9000 FD is not compatible?

7800 fd with 7800 shifters is not compatible with 7900 cranks. in general, the derailleur wont move far enough to get the chain to the large ring. there will be rubbing in the hardest gears in the big ring and/or in the easiest gears in the small ring.

this chart does not list 7800, but does still list 5600 (105). it shows that 5600 is compatible with 7900 front derailleurs (but not the other way around) and 5600 is compatible with 7901 chains. that's basically the extent of cross compatibility for the front shift systems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com