Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mosovich

by mosovich

I bet that thing rides like a dream...

kgt

by kgt

I like it!
I think it would may look better with black stem-seatpost and black stronglight chainrings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

paulwidds

by paulwidds

That's a beautiful build. How comfortable was the Thomson seatpost coupled with the steel frame?

I have a Bob Jackson 853 frame coming & am deliberating between the Thomson Masterpiece and a carbon seatpost.

CaptainP

by CaptainP

paulwidds wrote:That's a beautiful build. How comfortable was the Thomson seatpost coupled with the steel frame?

I have a Bob Jackson 853 frame coming & am deliberating between the Thomson Masterpiece and a carbon seatpost.

I've also got a Bob Jackson, and just changede the seatpost from a FSA SL-K to a Thomson Elite. The difference is minimal and mostly placebo i think. Looking forward to seeing your Bob Jackson build thread

runningDoc

by runningDoc

paulwidds wrote:That's a beautiful build. How comfortable was the Thomson seatpost coupled with the steel frame?

^I'm excited to see your Bob Jackson build!

The thomson masterpiece (which was with setback) was a lot more comfortable compared to the thomson elite 0º setback, but that must have been due to a more comfortable fit (because of the setback).

In the end aesthetics won out over my need to save weight - and I went with the cleaner looking/matching with my stem ritchey classic seat post. I did cut it down though - original length was 350mm - I ended up cutting 100mm off to save about 60 grams (MY INNER WEIGHT WEENIE WILL BE DENIED 8) )

I used to be concerned about differences in comfort with carbon seat posts compared to aluminum ones (i used to ride a USE alien seat post). But I think its more of how the seat post fits in relation to your riding position more than actual material used.

speaking about comfort with riding.... about a week ago it was raining a lot here in Brooklyn. I put on the fenders and kept on riding! Fenders make a huge difference when keeping your frame/drivetrain/body clean, but no difference at all with keeping your body dry - I was still soaked through and through after the ride!

post ride pics show a bike that's clean!

sheldon fender nuts make installing fenders quick and easy (under 5min if you have a bike stand). sheldon fender nuts are brake nuts that are larger (6mm hex size), jut out further, and have a 5mm recessed thread inside - that way you just keep your brake nuts on and add the fender nuts on top of the brake nut/sheldon fender nut (no need to remove brake nuts and readjust the brake alignment):

(i also did weigh it with fenders for curiosity's sake) it was 18.88lbs. not bad for a steel bike with fenders.

nspace

by nspace

Looks awesome!
IMO looks much better with the matching Ritchey post too.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

This is wonderfully built. Bravo.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

that is a great looking machine. Promise me one thing though: never ever use the B word again when you are pointing out your shifters ;)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice... glad this thread got dredged up from the past. The RB-1 was a bike I admired during a 1996 trip across the country. My riding partner had one, a white one, and I just never got tired of looking at that thing, with it's clean lines it just looked "proper" and everything was where it should be.
A real classic in it's own right. :thumbup:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cooper

by cooper

Superb. The frame alone is lovely, but the effort put into the update, especially the threadless conversion, makes this build very special indeed.

RollingThunder

by RollingThunder

41720386745_7994168354_z.jpg
Put Shimano 5800 on mine.
What fenders do you use?
He that knows nothing will believe anything.
I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker.

poursuivant

by poursuivant

A lovely build! Very interesting and fun to read about.

I used to ride classic steel bikes (Peugeot ventoux, galibier and colnago super amongst others) and some cool early carbon like the Kestrel 200SCi I had but always found the quill stem so flexy and the front end so noodly that eventually I moved on to modern stuff.

I never considered converting them to 1” threadless as I ride a 62-64cm frame .. but with a carbon 1” fork I might find a way 🤔 thanks for the food for thought!!

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

That looks proper. Nice build.