Smith PivLock v2?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey everyone,

Well I haven't notice a thread or really anyone talking about these sunglasses so I figured I would start up a thread to hopefully get some opinions on them. I have the Oakley Radar Range right now and the coverage is just about perfect HOWEVER the stems seem to mess with some helmets and the rubber is almost too grippy where it hurts a bit.

I was wondering if anyone had the Smith Pivlock v2 Max or Regular and could testify with how they work with helmets/for road cycling. For reference I have had issues with my Radar's and Kask Helmets as well as Giro.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

109er

by 109er

My team got sponsored with Smith this year and everyone seems to love these shades. They fit rounder heads it seems, or the fit just isnt super tight. However, they do not fall off nor do they move a whole lot on your face. The nose piece is adjustable, which I like. They dont interfere with the helmet, and the honestly disappear on your face when you are wearing them. Great pair of glasses.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

The Smith are fantastic glasses. Their best feature is they are frameless, so no matter your position your sight is never obscured. I highly recommend them.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I've been very pleased with mine after moving over from Rudy Project due to sponsorship constraints. Good coverage, no distortion, comfortable, and proven durable which is always challenge over a season of races/travel. Thumbs up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Can anyone comment on how the Pivlock V90 fits small/Asian faces? Thanks.

boysa

by boysa

I'm a fairly small guy, and the regular V2 fits me just fine. I'd recomend the Max version for larger people.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

sanrensho

by sanrensho

boysa wrote:I'm a fairly small guy, and the regular V2 fits me just fine. I'd recomend the Max version for larger people.

Thanks!

eordman

by eordman

I have the max version. It fits my largish round head well. The nose piece doesn't slip which is usually a problem that I have with other glasses. Frameless, big, and light; I usually forget I have them on until I take my helmet off and the straps catch the glasses. I'm using a specialized propero 2 and haven't had any interference issues.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Thanks for all the replys so far on these. I am quite interested in them particularly if they pull my skin a bit less than the Radar's. The Radar's have a very solid fit but the gripping is also too much where it pulls/irritates my skin/ears.

2 Quick questions:

1. Anyone have these with a Kask Helmet like the K50 Evo or the Mojito? I really like these helmets and want some sunglasses that I can wear with them and not mess with the retention system in the back due to how low it comes down.

2. Are each of the nose pieces able to be independently adjusted? I know how the nose piece "turns" more open or close but can you have each side set to a different level? My nose was broken a few years back so being able to tune the nose piece for my off-center nose would be great!

109er

by 109er

the arms of the glasses are fairly short so I dont see any issues as far as interference. The nose pieces are independent of one another. They however, click into place as opposed to a metal nose piece with rubber nose holder thingys.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

109er wrote:the arms of the glasses are fairly short so I dont see any issues as far as interference. The nose pieces are independent of one another. They however, click into place as opposed to a metal nose piece with rubber nose holder thingys.

Sounds good, I actually figured out how to make Oakley's work with Kask helmets just now! Turns out that if you put the glasses on before adjusting the helmet/tightening the back then when you tighten it it just snugly holds the Radar Temples in place. If you tighten the back retention first then you can NOT get the temples back but if you do it as I described it actually works pretty well

Also, the nose click thing is what I figured, I had a feeling they weren't like Rudy where you have "total movement" over each type of thing. However, what you said does make me very curious, might have to order a pair just to try them out for my broken face/nose :D

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I have the v1 of the PivLock and echo the positive comments above. I've never owned radars but have tried them on and didn't buy them as I felt the pressure points of the arms was too tight for my liking. I put the Smiths on and honestly forget they're there. I've got Jawbones too and when I switch to these I realize how fantastic the field of vision is. Fwiw I use an Ionos.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I just picked up the Smith Pivlock V90 glasses and experienced no helmet issues (Giro Prolight). The glasses also stay secure.

The fit is fine for a small Asian face (thanks for the earlier replies). They do slide down the nose after awhile, but no worse than other glasses I use. The hard part is keeping all that lens surface clean.

Broid

by Broid

+1 on the V2 Max. I don't have a particularly large head but they fit fantastic and work perfect with my Specialized Prevail helmet. Very comfy glasses, highly recommended!

asv

by asv

I've been using the v2 max all season with great success. They don't move around, and the coverage is excellent. If its really humid outside I find that they do fog up quite a bit. I might try the regular size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com