HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm 

Sadly after going ass over bars in a crash yesterday and messing up my front wheel I will be in the market for a new wheelset soon. I had created a post a while back asking about high end carbon clinchers and got some great responses. The one thing I didn't ask about and should have is the following: If I am going to pay a substantial amount of $ for a wheelset, how much is the crash replacement costs. I know most all of the high end wheel makers offer some sort of crash replacement but trying to find hard numbers for those replacements is a bit more difficult. Looking at the usual suspects as far as new wheels: Lightweight, Enve, Madfiber and a few others. So if anyone has had first hand experiences with this process or just knows what the actual crash replacement costs are I would appreciate any help in the matter, Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm 
Shop Owner

Enve is really good with their crash replacement. They offer 50% off MSRP for life if you wreck your wheels. Additionally, they also turn rims around very quickly in the rare event that they get damaged.
The extra security and 5 year warranty is worth the premium. A wheelset is an investment and they put that first and foremost.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 pm 

Mavic, Reynolds, and Lightweight all have reasonable insurance programs. I think Reynolds is $200 and covers any damage for free for 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:33 pm 

Carbonsports "Service-up" works at around 10% of the wheel cost. £360ish (euro rate exchange etc), and they provide up to 2 replacement wheels each (ie 2 front and 2 back). Lasts for the first 3 years from a new wheel purchase (need proof/dates of purchase etc). Don't think you can renew after 3 years. Quite expensive imo, but I would never have bought the wheels without it, so I just factored that into the price without even considering it an optional extra.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 pm 

@Weightysteve
-Are you saying that if the wheels cost $4,500 (USD) then I only pay 10% or $450 and get up to 2 front and rear wheels ($1900 is I needed all four) in the event of a crash. If that is the case then the "Service Up" policy doesn't sound bad at all, or am I missing something (which I have a feeling I am)?

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 am 
Shop Owner

Seems to me that the Crash Replacment Program should be included in the MSRP with such an expensive rim...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Lightweight crash replacement (no extra cost to be covered): 30% discount from RRP for replacement wheels (you need to send damaged wheels to CarbonSports)
http://lightweight.info/us/en/service/crashreplacement
http://lightweight.info/us/en/service/c ... cement.pdf

Serviceup costs 10% of RRP - must get within 5 days of purchase - lasts for 3 years - wheels must be bought from authorized dealer, can be transferred to new owner if sold
http://lightweight.info/us/en/service/registration#
http://lightweight.info/us/en/service/serviceup.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 am 
Shop Owner

zipp will rebuild a hub onto a new carbon rim if you crash it. offered for 5 years to the original owner, it ends up around $450 depending on the exact rim...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 am 
Shop Owner

thisisatest wrote:
zipp will rebuild a hub onto a new carbon rim if you crash it. offered for 5 years to the original owner, it ends up around $450 depending on the exact rim...

Not too surprising considering that Zipp hubs are some of the least durable on the market. Longevity is absolutely terrible, so why not go ahead and replace em!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:24 am 
Formerly known as PezTech

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:42 am 

Zen Cyclery wrote:
thisisatest wrote:

Not too surprising considering that Zipp hubs are some of the least durable on the market. Longevity is absolutely terrible, so why not go ahead and replace em!!

Laff.

I do find it convenient given your comments that you're store doesn't sell Zipp wheels.

- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:56 am 
Shop Owner

their 88/188 hubs have been pretty good. light years over their older hubs imo, i consider it a selling point now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 am 

Indeed, the new Zipp hubs have been more durable for our shop as well. They need rather frequent adjustment, but performance and durability are both very good if they are taken care of. Def not a fit-and-forget hub, but then again a proper race wheel should never be forgotten about. Design compromise, I suppose.

I would rate them as more durable than a few popular lightweight hubs that I will decline to name. (Though I should add, below most of the true top-shelf hubs... King etc).

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 am