HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm 
Administrator

Garmin connect would not let me look at your profile. I think you have it set as private. I'm pretty flat on the bike so my next step to get more speed is to work with a fitter to clean up my position even more. The next step after that would be wind tunnel testing but that is not in Tue budget right now.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:52 am 

Oh sorry. Missed the small closed key button. Now it should be shared.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Administrator

What bike, components and size bike are you riding? Do you have a picture of you on the bike? Height, age and weight? With time trialing everything counts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm 

Look 596 size M / Syntace C3 / Zipp 808 FC tubulars with Veloflex Carbon / Omega brakes; myself, I'm 1.79m / 74kg / 31 years.

http://content25-foto.inbox.lv/albums/m ... G-9257.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, need to work on the position (and flexibility) to make the power gap between road and TT bike smaller , however, personally it doesn't look too slow, does it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm 
Administrator

Your position looks pretty good. About some of the only differences are I have 3T Brezza bars with s bend extensions and return to center shifters, the Brezza's are supposed to be pretty aero. Also I run a disc plus does the Look not have shallower geometry? My seat tube is 78 degrees. About the same height at 1.83 meters, 72 kg but I am 24 years older than you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 am 

Look does have a default shallow seatpost angle, but, turning it over (also in my case), you go to 79 degrees anyway. I have fairly long forearms, which dictates that for a low / flat back position I need either to have a very short headtube or somehow compensate for it with a low stem position (which the Look allows doing). My current position is as low as it gets (no wind tunnel testing unless I go somewhere abroad... not an option), I can play a little with stem lengths / aerobar positioning, but that's it.

While disc certainly would give some extra speed, I wouldn't believe it is as big as more than 2 kph, so I still seem to have the most un-aero TT bike around :D

Another explanation might be the powermeter gives wrong readings, but in this case, I'm tempted to believe the watts since I have a Quarq on my roadbike to compare to, and also ran a Powertap a year ago, and all these have shown more or less similar readings (no sudden "gains" or "losses" in fitness, as much as I have it at all).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:33 pm 

mrlobber wrote:
Look does have a default shallow seatpost angle, but, turning it over (also in my case), you go to 79 degrees anyway. I have fairly long forearms, which dictates that for a low / flat back position I need either to have a very short headtube or somehow compensate for it with a low stem position (which the Look allows doing). My current position is as low as it gets (no wind tunnel testing unless I go somewhere abroad... not an option), I can play a little with stem lengths / aerobar positioning, but that's it.

While disc certainly would give some extra speed, I wouldn't believe it is as big as more than 2 kph, so I still seem to have the most un-aero TT bike around :D

Another explanation might be the powermeter gives wrong readings, but in this case, I'm tempted to believe the watts since I have a Quarq on my roadbike to compare to, and also ran a Powertap a year ago, and all these have shown more or less similar readings (no sudden "gains" or "losses" in fitness, as much as I have it at all).

Hmm i have a few ideas but a head on shot (even on the turbo) would answer a few of my questions, a lot of drag is defined by the bits that hit the air first!

If the position is more aero I'm sure you could adapt to it over a few months of consistent riding in the position. I always do my winter turbo sessions on the TT bike so that I never lose the flexibility and comfort I have on it. If i'm being honest the hip angle looks like it might restrict power a bit, but i would only raise the stem by 5-10mm. Its amazing how little changes can help. The difference with a disc would only get another 5-8W back over an 808. Maybe use a buff or similar, to control the hair flapping in breeze outside of your helmet, or cut it if that is your preference.
By the way the power graph looks nice, could be a little tighter but I know that's very hard to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 am 
Administrator

My best of the season. A little big coming off the start line but I'll take it. A little warm and very humid too. Low winds.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/218992299

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm 

Well done Juanmoretime! Kudos! 800W at the start is pretty hot, you were clearly fired up for it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm 

A 800w start means you started too hard!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:43 am 

Very nice effort. Chapeau!

Have you considered trying to increase cadence? I went from low 80s to mid-90s over the last two seasons and it helped me go a bit faster. Power went up and I became more consistent from race to race. Mileage may vary of course.

--Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 am 
Administrator

2nd 40K of the year. I forgot to stop my Garmin and my official time was 55:41 but the course was short. Much different power and I could have gone harder but I kept pulling myself back because of my power output but I was pretty comfortable. I usual race at nigh after being awake for 14 hours or more, working a full day and doing 186 miles of commuting. I gues it shows what being well rested will do for you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/223097986

One more to go this Tuesday evening and then my season is wrapped up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 am 
Administrator

Between Saturdays tt and last evenings final tt of the year I cane down with the flu. I raced anyway. The funny thing is while I felt like crap I was able to post my best power numbers of the year. It was a cool evening and we had a 12 to 14 mph wind on the return trip. 4.15 watts per kilogram is okay by me. :thumbup:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224482893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still went out too hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 am 
Administrator

Well time to resurrect this thread since I'm pretty well under way to my tt season. A personal best 40K last night at age 56. I'll take it.

http://app.strava.com/activities/69348124#1344144978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 pm 

Nice result Juan! Do you have the power details for this one?

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next