Specialized OS BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

likevelo

by likevelo

thisisatest wrote:if it's an sl4 tarmac, it's osbb.
plastic cups im referring to are #S100400001 delrin cups that come with the frame.
specialized's adapters which step the 30mm bearings down to 24mm for shimano cranks, etc, are completely aluminum. as mentioned earlier, they have a campy version in the works, ive personally havent seen one of those yet.
the roadbikereview forum issues have nothing to do with the wheelsmfg adapter. roadbikereview is talking about putting CAMPY'S OWN OS-FIT CUPS into specialized's plastic cups. this absolutely would cause problems, i dont know why specialized ever recommended doing that, etc.
the wheelsmfg adapter is delrin and functions similarly to specialized's 24mm adapter. you leave the campy bearings on the crank. this should pose zero problems. this adapter is in no way mentioned in roadbikereview, and in no possible way relates to their discussion.

Sorry, i got confused.
1. "specialized's adapters which step the 30mm bearings down to 24mm for shimano cranks, etc, are completely aluminum", which part number are you referring to?
2. "roadbikereview forum issues have nothing to do with the wheelsmfg adapter", if I understand correctly, wheelsmfg adapter is for shimano cranks. right? But then later you explained "wheelsmfg adapter is delrin and functions similarly to specialized's 24mm adapter. you leave the campy bearings on the crank. this should pose zero problems.".
Does wheelsmfg has adapter for campagnolo too? I thought just for shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

wheelsmfg has a zillion different adapters, all delrin.
they make some for shimano
yes, they make some for campy too.
i dont have the part# for the specialized 24mm adapter. ive never bothered to order it separately, esp since i consider the wheelsmfg one to be superior.

virenque

by virenque

got this today:
Attachments
IMG0265As.jpg

likevelo

by likevelo

virenque wrote:got this today:

If not mistakened, this is Specialized adapter S120400005. Is this now easily available. Cost?
Hope to hear more on users' experience. It is to be used in conjunction with #S100400001 delrin cups. Correct? Much discussion over #S100400001 already, hmmmm.....
c-bear osbb-campagnolo (sorry, do not know how to place a photo, so place a link here instead.http://www.c-bear.com/en/osbb-en/campag ... arings.php") is an alum. insert with camp. cups directly threaded onto the frame - a cleaner (really look good without a chucky adapter, not to mention the technical disadv of adding an adapter), sturdy and more direct connection. Anyone has experience here? Users' experiences I read so far seem only positive. After deducting the ceramic bearings, camp. cups that come with the set, c-bear alum. bottom bracket fitting seem to be a very good value and superior option?!

micropox

by micropox

virenque wrote:got this today:

Hi Virenque,

What material is the adaptor made of? Is it metal or derlin?

Thanks

a.davis12

by a.davis12

get the spec, it's a better bike and they(specialized, well spec oz have them available) are now making an adapter to run campy cranks with osbb.

virenque

by virenque

I don't have a price for them yet and there are not many available, I only got 3 in the store. It's machined aluminium and anodised.

micropox

by micropox

virenque wrote:I don't have a price for them yet and there are not many available, I only got 3 in the store. It's machined aluminium and anodised.

Thanks for the info :)

micropox

by micropox

virenque wrote:I don't have a price for them yet and there are not many available, I only got 3 in the store. It's machined aluminium and anodised.

Have one more question virenque, using the specialized adapter for campy cranks, will it require removing the campagnolo bearings? or will it be the same as wheels manufacturing were there will be 2 bearings on each side?

Also, was hoping that the specialized adapters were made of derlin instead of machined aluminum. As i have experienced creaking when using the included specialized aluminum adapters with shimano cranks.
Last edited by micropox on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

micropox

by micropox

Also, looking at Wheels Manufacturing website, which campy adapter should i use for sworks osbb frames?

Is it this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/pressfit-30-adapter-for-campagnolo-cranks.html

or this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-adapter-for-campagnolo-cranks.html

or are they practically the same??

Thanks

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Specialized adapters require the campy bearings to be removed. For specialized osbb, you use the BB30 adapter. OSBB IS NOT PF30. OSBB IS NOT PF30.

micropox

by micropox

thisisatest wrote:Specialized adapters require the campy bearings to be removed. For specialized osbb, you use the BB30 adapter. OSBB IS NOT PF30. OSBB IS NOT PF30.

Thanks again for the info :)

Bigmac

by Bigmac

A couple of people have asked me how i was getting on with the C-Bear OSBB adapter on my 2012 S-Works Venge running Campy Super Record and my response is "very good"!

The folks at C-Bear provide great customer service and were very quick in supplying the adapter to me, Spesh UK OK'd the installation, with the proviso that it had to be fitted by a LBS. This was done without any Loctite or any other adhesive as per C-Bears instructions. The adapter fits very neatly, has never creaked or squeaked and makes for a very stiff and responsive bottom bracket. I have ridden several thousands of miles during the summer without any problems whatsoever and it beats hands down all the other variations i tried previously.
If you have an S-Works with an OSBB carbon shelled bottom bracket and want to run Campy then you won't go far wrong with C-Bear adapter - Upon recommendation i went for the Italian threaded version purely because of the right hand threads - this obviously goes against some schools of thought but again, it's worked perfectly and i can't fault it! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

Is C-Bear also doing a PF30 to campa BSA adaptor ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

this may be "for dealers only" but i googled "specialized osbb bulletin" and this was second from the top, so i feel justified:

http://service.specialized.com/asc/Content/Tech%20Pubs/Technical%20Bulletins/TB0433_revA.pdf