Removing paint from my THM Crank....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I saw that Gumgardener removed the paint from his THM crank but I cant find how he did it.....Maybe I read something about using a razor blade? Im not sure. Any help would be appreciated
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Start reading here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98607&start=240#p864974 , and for the next page or so. That may not tell you to the level of detail you want, but it's something.

Note this post from andy2, who is still actively posting here.
In that thread at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98607&start=240#p865105 , andy2 wrote:I used steel wool on two sets, they came out great. I avtuslly like the sanded ones better than factory matte. The shiny clearcoat is better quality. The reason Parlee do their matte (not waxed) finish like this.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Hmm something about steel wool, that's weird, I'll check into that thanks!!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

artray

by artray

Just use some very fine wet and dry paper , Its very easy and you will see the coat start to come off . I did the same to my Helion crankset . I then used some areo 303 to give it a finish and some protection against the suns rays . I would not use a razor blade as that is more for getting the paint off a frame which can be quite thick.

pawnii

by pawnii

What are you trying to achieve?
Do you want the satin/matte finish or are you planning to re-paint the crankset?

I used wet&dry sandpaper. I contacted THM and told them that I was planning to re-paint my Clavicula's myself and they sent me new decals :)

Be careful not to take too much off the pinch bolt holes. It's easy to do.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I tried a small spot with some 600 grit and it worked pretty well. It actually looks ok on my Colnago in gloss so I may leave it like that for a while. Once I get my Zero.7 ill probably do it