Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:41 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 am 

I have a very roadbike akin cyclocross bike. Would it be unrideable if I put a 80-100mm suspension fork on it, to use it for a few leisure MTB rides in summer? Mostly gravel roads of different quality, and easy trails, no hardcore stuff.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am 

I've been riding what I'd classify as easy trails with my cross bike (standard setup, rigid fork) without any problems. If it's mostly fire roads I think you should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 am 

The frames geometry will remain the same if the axle to crown height of a suspension fork is the same as the rigid that you have already. This is very unlikely though. Looking at a few, if you are going from a road fork you could be adding as much as 120mm to the fork length, from a cross for more like 90mm. I think this would have a very noticeable effect on the handling of the bike, if you could borrow a fork from someone to try it might be worth it.

But as the poster above mentioned, it's possible to ride a standard cross set up off road with no problems whatsoever!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 am 

Yes, I've been doing lots of MTB with a rigid fork in the 90s, and with a suspension in the early 2000s. I know if I have an MTB(-ish bike) I'll be using it more, also on trails, but probably not enough to justify a whole bike. Riding the winter beater with a flat bar and suspension fork sounds like a budget solution, unless people think it won't work out.

Hmm maybe I could run a 27.5" front wheel to compensate for the added rise, although that might look a bit weird.