Your dream wheelset: Custom? Campy Hyperon? Lightweights?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

x43x

by x43x

I had an everyday dream wheelset built up last year...Enve 45's with Dash hubs. After numerous problems with the rear hub, I now have a Tune 170. It is lovely.

SSB

by SSB

^
May I ask what went wrong with the Dash hubs? The only reason I didn't spring for them was that there were very few real-world reviews of the hub, and at that price I'm thinking it's better to give up a little weight for a workhorse hub.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

x43x

by x43x

Well I originally wanted the Monica hub, but they weren't available yet, so Dash made a deal on the Veronica and I accepted.

Hub arrived with an axle that was too short. Shipped it back.

Received a replacement. Right off the bat, the hub had some lateral play and was a tad creaky. Rode it for a few weeks with success but then I sheered the axle in half. I'm a lightweight though and don't generate much power. Shipped it back to Dash who fitted it with an extra thick axle.

Received the replacement. The lateral play was much improved. Rode it for a few months, then on one ride, the carbon around the flanges cracked. Shipped it back to Dash.

Asked Dash to swap hubs with the Monica since it was now available. I had a 20-hole rim though, and the Monica was a 24. Dash offered to buy me a brand new rim for my troubles. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the Enve Smart .4 rear wheel. While waiting for that to arrive, Dash sent me the repaired original wheel to ride.

Received the replacement. The axle was too short again...which was the first problem I had. Dash sent a replacement end cap which did the trick and I rode it with success, albeit with some creakiness still.

Received the Monica/Smart 4 combo after a few weeks. A lot more lateral play than the Veronica. First ride was okay on a long flat stretch, but as soon as I went uphill, the hub started creaking/popping with each half revolution. At first I thought it was something with the bike and I checked everything. Tightened skewers, checked BB, crank, pedals, even the headset just in case. Then I swapped wheels and the problem went away. I rode it twice more, and the creaking and popping existed throughout the ride. I'm not sure if it just wasn't tensioned correctly or is just an inherent problem with the flange/spoke holes, but the creaking existed on both models, and was worse with the heavier hub.

Rather than try again, I just opted to get the Tune 170. It added 40 grams over the Monica, but at this point, I just want to ride my bike without it sounding like it's going to explode.

I will say that Weston at Dash is a class act and will do everything in his power to fix whatever problem you have. I think they need to look into a better design though, and do more long term tests in real conditions.

I will also say that my Mira front hub has had ZERO problems. Love it.

ajxd

by ajxd

Not particularly dreamy, but I've always liked Easton EC90s. Very attainable though.

ticou

by ticou

x43x wrote:Well I originally wanted the Monica hub, but they weren't available yet, so Dash made a deal on the Veronica and I accepted.

Hub arrived with an axle that was too short. Shipped it back.

Received a replacement. Right off the bat, the hub had some lateral play and was a tad creaky. Rode it for a few weeks with success but then I sheered the axle in half. I'm a lightweight though and don't generate much power. Shipped it back to Dash who fitted it with an extra thick axle.

Received the replacement. The lateral play was much improved. Rode it for a few months, then on one ride, the carbon around the flanges cracked. Shipped it back to Dash.

Asked Dash to swap hubs with the Monica since it was now available. I had a 20-hole rim though, and the Monica was a 24. Dash offered to buy me a brand new rim for my troubles. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the Enve Smart .4 rear wheel. While waiting for that to arrive, Dash sent me the repaired original wheel to ride.

Received the replacement. The axle was too short again...which was the first problem I had. Dash sent a replacement end cap which did the trick and I rode it with success, albeit with some creakiness still.

Received the Monica/Smart 4 combo after a few weeks. A lot more lateral play than the Veronica. First ride was okay on a long flat stretch, but as soon as I went uphill, the hub started creaking/popping with each half revolution. At first I thought it was something with the bike and I checked everything. Tightened skewers, checked BB, crank, pedals, even the headset just in case. Then I swapped wheels and the problem went away. I rode it twice more, and the creaking and popping existed throughout the ride. I'm not sure if it just wasn't tensioned correctly or is just an inherent problem with the flange/spoke holes, but the creaking existed on both models, and was worse with the heavier hub.

Rather than try again, I just opted to get the Tune 170. It added 40 grams over the Monica, but at this point, I just want to ride my bike without it sounding like it's going to explode.

I will say that Weston at Dash is a class act and will do everything in his power to fix whatever problem you have. I think they need to look into a better design though, and do more long term tests in real conditions.

I will also say that my Mira front hub has had ZERO problems. Love it.

I did mention real world conditions original OP, so pay attention to the above post.