Kids Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

We didn't set any speed records, but my son is now (officially) the youngest cyclist ever to compete in the Mount Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb. I rode the entire route with him as he is only 8. He struggled a bit and finished well over his (our) goal time of two hours, but of 605 registered riders he was 468th of 475 finishers. He also raised over $2,100.00 for the Tin Mountain Conservation Center as part of his historic ride. So I am very proud of him. This is a memory we will cherish forever.

Oh yeah, fellow Weight Weenie, Nico Toutenhoofd was 13th overall and won his age group. Congrats Nico!

edited
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Junior beat you by 12 seconds http://www.mwarbh.org/wp-content/upload ... ESULTS.txt . Good stuff. I was riding up and down neighborhood hills, not climbing Mt. Washington, at 8 years of age (not to mention last year at 7).

While old riders get nice age groups to compete in http://www.mwarbh.org/wp-content/upload ... GRADED.txt , such as 80 and Over, and every 5 years starting with 35 to 39, youngsters don't fare as well, with the youngest division being 19 and under - that makes it hard for a 9 (or 8) year old to win a division. Speaking of which, Ryjder is listed as 9 - is that racing age (age as of Dec 31 of the current year) or was that a mistake?

It's also nice to see that Tyler Hamilton's record was stricken due to his doping http://www.mwarbh.org/?p=664 .

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Yes, Ryjder's racing age is 9 as his b-day falls in November. So he races against a stacked junior field. But we had no expectations of him being competitive in that age group... maybe in a few years. Look at Jonah Thompson. He is 12 and flew up the mountain.

Ryjder actually beat me by a lot more than that. My group went off 10 minutes before his but I waited for him at the start and rode across the line behind him.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Yeah, that Jonah was pretty fast for his age. Let's see if he becomes a contender at top echelons in years to come.

As for your time, I misread the 58 minutes as 48 minutes, so was off by 10 minutes.

Are you thinking of trying to get leave next year from your Netherlands assignment to do Mt. Washington with Ryjder again?

Estelja

by Estelja

Looks like the aero fad has even hit kid's road bikes:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/18/cul ... more-47653

I wonder if yaw angle has an effect at 10 mph?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Well, yaw angles tend to be bigger at 10 mph riding speed than at 30 mph, all else being equal (such as wind speed and direction, if not head on (or tail on). Ans yaw angles which are on net "tail on" also are more common at lower riding speeds.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Ummm... yeah, that was interesting. My son was interviewed on the Washington, DC news (ABC7) about his historic ride up Mt. Washington when the inevitable Lance Armstrong question came up. When asked if he wanted to be like Lance when he gets older, Ryjder replied, "Yeah, but without all the drugs." OH MY GOD!

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Is that video on the web? I didn't see it at the station website http://www.wjla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Was the interview live or recorded? If live, then the producers have to know they're taking their chances.

Anyhow, I hope LA doesn't sue you, as parent of Ryjder, for slander, as there is no proof of his taking drugs (other than cancer treatment). As for whether I think LA took PEDs in contravention of the rules and lied about it? Well, my view is the same as to whether O.J. murdered Ron and Nicole and lied about it.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

It was live, but I think it will be posted today... probably edited. hahaha

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

deleted
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

!!!!!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!! (well Ted already "spoiled it" yesterday)
At 5:16, the interviewer wrote:Where do you hope this takes you? Do you want to be Lance Armstrong some day or you're just an 8 year old and you want to ride the bike?
At 5:23, Ryjder wrote:I'm hoping to be like Lance Armstrong <pause>, except without taking all the drugs, heh, heh.
5:30, the interviewer wrote:We'll edit that part out. <incomprehensible> to the cycling community. We'll just edit that right out.

Very cool. That video should be quite a keepsake. Both father and son are well composed speakers. I found it interesting that Ryjder "knew" to laugh after saying "except for taking all the drugs". And the pause made for some nice dramatic effect. As for the interviewer and his lame jokes - meh.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

That was a completely off-the-cuff remark by Ryjder. He has always been a fan of Lance Armstrong. I don't think he completely grasps the situation in which Lance finds himself. He knows that doping = cheating and cheating = wrong. So he aspires to be a clean rider. But I don't think he fully understands the difference being accused and being guilty... especially in the realm of modern media.

Nonetheless, I am proud of him. He has opinions and he isn't afraid to voice them. He's a bright kid. I am a very lucky father.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Was there any "rehearsal", prep, or discussion with the interviewer or producers before going on the air?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Nope. We had some casual conversation on the phone. But, basically, we showed up, watched the first segment, and then went on the air.

In light of events that have transpired since, I guess it's OK to have a good laugh about it now.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

That's a very perceptive and eloquent young lad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com