Zipp Vukasprint install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jezza995

by jezza995

NWSAlpine wrote:Back on topic. The bars look sick! I wanted to give them a shot but at the end of the day I went with the SC CSL because I much prefer the short reach and compact bars. Vuka Sprint short reach compact and I'm all over it.

Thanks for your comment, these are the short and shallow bars reach is 84.5 drop is 128mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.

Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.

Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
Isn't is predictable that you will save weight with a CF bar?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.
The Ltd is 3T's lightest CF series.

Further why compare the weight of full handlebar tape with half handlebar tape?

Once again it's a simple comparison of what he had vs what he has now. Doesn't make sense to compare bars he doesn't own or doesn't plan to own.

If you used your logic then he should be compairing the weight of the Ltd to the Zipp Sl bar which is 170g. At the end of the day you are doing a comparison that makes no sense for this thread's intentions.

Not sure. My logic is not to compare the lightest models but a CF aero bar with an other CF aero bar.
The Zipp SL is not an aero bar.
And for sure there are lighter bars than 3T Ltd and Zipp SL.
Beside this the Vuka IMO looks fantastic. No doubt about that . :thumbup:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I own Zipp Contour Sl bars which have a slightly elongated top section but nothing like this. I often ride with my forearms on the tops on long sections of road. I was wondering how comfortable you find these for that if you ever find yourself in that position. For optimum comfort you might need to wrap that part of the bars negating your weight savings slightly which we just can't have :)
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

otoman

by otoman

That is one bitchin' Basso! 8)

I remember some of the riders in my hometown had Bassos back in the late 1980's. I was drooling all over my Nishiki as I rode with those lucky few....
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

theloper

by theloper

I would love to see Zipp build a 1 peice bar/stem combo with the Vuka Sprint air foil top profile. Great way to aero up the front end of a aero road build.

roberto21

by roberto21

great write up. im surprised you saved that much with the tape and gel. these bars look absolutely amazing. cant wait to save up some money and get some for my scott foil.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Robitaille20

by Robitaille20

What for me is worst that it is not possible to use the Vuka Sprint with Dura Ace DI2 cables .....or am I wrong ?

Vjl

by Vjl

I have two Vukasprint bars both with Di2, so it can be done!

Robitaille20

by Robitaille20

Vjl wrote:I have two Vukasprint bars both with Di2, so it can be done!

....aha...and how to do this ? to cut the cable and put through the bar holes ? ....or are the holes big enough to put them through the bars without any cutting ? The Vuka sprint description says not possible for DI2

Vjl

by Vjl

I do not cut Di2 cables. Zipp may not approve but the hole at the shifter end of the bar needs to be enlarged. If you carefully oblong the hole towards the stem so the connector can make the turn you can pull the cable through. I fish a mechanical inner cable through the bar, tape it to the Di2 cable and pull it back through. Don't go crazy with hole size!

refthimos

by refthimos

I had 2 of these on backorder for a few months and Zipp must have finally received a batch because they started showing up in inventory on the web a couple weeks ago - same time I got mine in the mail.

Installed one pair on one of my bikes but because the bar's internal cable routing requires a complete brake and shifter cable swap, I have not managed to get the second bar installed. But I've put about 150 miles on the bars so far, and these are my thoughts:

* Internal cable routing is cool, but means installation take a little more time than with a "normal" bar.
* My favorite all time bar for comfort/shape is the FSA K-Wing carbon (same shape is also used in the FSA Plasma integrated bar/stem). The FSA bars, however, are too flexy for me, which is why I decided to make the switch. The Vuka Sprint's have a similar "ergo" drop section, which I like, but the FSAs are more comfortable on the tops. Why? Because the FSAs have a pretty round trailing edge, while the Zipps have a fairly sharp trailing edge, which can dig into your palm. If you try to ride the Zipps on the tops with your hand wrapped around and your thumbs under the tops (the most secure grip), these bars are not going to be comfortable for you. But if you ride (1) with your thumbs on top, (2) with your thumbs parallel to the ground right along the trailing edge of the tops or (3) grab the tops right near the stem in a very narrow grip, it's fine. I don't ride a lot in the tops, and when I do it is really just to vary hand/body position, so this doesn't bother me. But if you ride a lot in the tops in a full grip with your thumbs under the bar, I don't think you'll like this bar. I should also mention that I did not tape the tops of my Zipps, but the trailing edge on the Zipp's tops is so sharp that I don't think bar tape would change my assessment much, if at all. The FSA tops I never taped either and they were crazy comfortable (at least for me) that way.
* Used with a Zipp SC SL stem, there is just enough round section in the middle of the bars to mount a relatively "thin" bar-mounted accessory on either side of the stem. For me, this means my BarFly mount fits nicely just to the right of the stem's clamp and I can mount a K-Edge GoPro mount on the left side of the clamp when I want to video.
* I find the Zipps to be nice and stiff - much better than the FSAs.
* They definitely look cool on the bike, without being too over-the-top. As far as quantifiable aero advantage, I'll leave that one alone. But it's hard to see how they can't be as good if not better than a standard round bar. Hard to see how they could be worse.
* I mounted my Red brifters at almost the very top of the Zipp-marked clamping area. This gave me a pretty-much flat transition between the bar and the brifter's hook top, which is what I prefer. Also, mounted in this position, the Red brifters sync up very well with the internal cable routing holes in the Zipps.

Overall, I am very happy with the Vuka Sprints and just have to find a little time to get the other pair on my second bike.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast