Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

scotty

by scotty

scotty wrote:
This is my new commuter/winter bike in progress.... looking forward to it..

Awesome!

Ah Malik, you got there before me.
The frame is in the post now, can't wait to see it for real.
Happy with the paintwork... it's a bit of a Colnago Saronni tribute.

Looking to build it up with Campag... 9/10 speed... Pm me if you have any bits you don't need..

Scott

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLight

by SLight

for the fans of steel bikes; Jaegher has a cool teaser site online : www.jaegher.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I will be patiently awaiting their reveal! Looks like a very interesting project. I am contemplating a steel build from either Spooky, Independent Fabrication and now added Jaegher to the list!!

soupless

by soupless

I think Mickey from Spooky will use steel if you ask. They've made a few cool allroad/dirt road bikes recently.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yes....Spooky have a bunch of models that they offer in aluminum or steel. The Professional, Limberjack and Skeletor are all available in either flavor per the website.

http://www.spookybikes.com/custom

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

old codger wrote:Here is my training steed.

Does this bike have its own thread?

Are more pics and specs available?
On Plastic Existence

JWolf

by JWolf

I am building a steel Cinelli right now as a track / urban style bike. Just started a thread on it.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

btompkins0112 wrote:I will be patiently awaiting their reveal! Looks like a very interesting project. I am contemplating a steel build from either Spooky, Independent Fabrication and now added Jaegher to the list!!

A lot of the racers up here ride Spooky frames and all of them speak well of their bikes.
I'm so rubbish at this.

nspace

by nspace

My Steelwool singlespeed CX, but not exactly a weight weenie bike.

Image Image

KB

by KB

THUNDERHORSE wrote:Are more pics and specs available?

Not sure that they make frames anymore. Harry Hall himself was very well known in the UK. He was the GB mechanic on the Tour in 1967 when Simpson died on the Ventoux. In the 70's many good riders rode on his frames (Paul Sherwen for instance) in the big amateur races in the UK. I think Harry passed away a few years ago.

Looking at that frame, it looks like something from the 70/80's, probably in 531. Many UK clubmen up to the 80's rode fixed in winter.

ckyle

by ckyle

Sorta cross-post from above. Nate Zukas custom frame.

Still need to do some adjusting to the bars and cut down the steerer tube. If the rain will ever stop I can ride....

Specs:
Lugged steel frame from Nate Zukas, True temper S3 top and downtube, OX Plat. headtube, Columbus chainstays, Aircraft 4130 seatstays and seat tube.
Chris King headset
Nokon black/gold brake/shift cables, internally routed
TRP R970SL JPS Limited Edition brakes
Campy Record
ENVE bars, 1.0 fork and 3.4 Smart tubulars laced to Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs

Weight 15lbs 10oz with heavy Schwalbe 300+g tubulars

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

ckyle wrote:Sorta cross-post from above. Nate Zukas custom frame.

Still need to do some adjusting to the bars and cut down the steerer tube. If the rain will ever stop I can ride....

Specs:
Lugged steel frame from Nate Zukas, True temper S3 top and downtube, OX Plat. headtube, Columbus chainstays, Aircraft 4130 seatstays and seat tube.
Chris King headset
Nokon black/gold brake/shift cables, internally routed
TRP R970SL JPS Limited Edition brakes
Campy Record
ENVE bars, 1.0 fork and 3.4 Smart tubulars laced to Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs

Weight 15lbs 10oz with heavy Schwalbe 300+g tubulars

I'm actually about to put down a deposit on a Zukas. If it ever stops raining is there a chance of a ride report?
I'm so rubbish at this.

runningDoc

by runningDoc

ckyle wrote:Sorta cross-post from above. Nate Zukas custom frame.

^nice.

thats the thing with all the new weight weenie parts these days. You can easily work around the extra 400g or so of a steel frame and still get to UCI Illegal weights and not have to go exotic on parts.

I switched seatposts (to match the stem), upgraded the old Red FD to a 2012 Red FD, and switched carbon handlebars to my favorite bend (Ritchey Logic Curve - same exact dimensions as the Classic Curves).

The weight went up a bit to 17.54lbs but I'm happy considering that its a very heavy seatpost, and the new FD is a big improvement. Also I'm running a steel frame and steel fork from a bike made in 1993.

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

KB wrote:
THUNDERHORSE wrote:Are more pics and specs available?

Looking at that frame, it looks like something from the 70/80's, probably in 531. Many UK clubmen up to the 80's rode fixed in winter.

Thanks for the reply. I looked up HH and found out a bit but I'm more interested in that type of build for training purposes.

From what I can see: Its a fixed with carbon rims, Spare tubby under the seat, levers & hood set but just a front brake, and computer...

Why did UK riders ride fixed in winter?
On Plastic Existence

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mosovich

by mosovich

I've got a Zukas cross bike and all I can say is that I can ride that bike all day long! The geometry is spot on and Nate as you can tell does beautiful top class work!!!