Building urban Steel Bike single speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nspace

by nspace

I agree with changing up the rim to something lower profile and maybe not carbon.

Another hub to consider (absolutely love these on my track bike): White Industries. They have a flip flop version too, and use a spline interface for the track cogs, works really well. No idea how the weight compares to Phil Wood though. They are beautiful:

Werdna

by Werdna

Just one Phil Wood rear hub is almost 100g more than the White Ind. (Depending on the model)
White Ind. track hubs are claimed at 298g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hugo7

by Hugo7

Werdna wrote:It will be tough to find a rear track hub that is light. I have AM Classic hubs on my Fixed road bike.

Hence the reasoning behind going for a light weight MTB front hub and using a custom axle and bolt on cog.

If you're using it around town then I think clinchers are a sensible move so Stan 340's probably make a lot of sense.

Still think if you're riding with your kids something slow and comfortable is the way to go.

Hugo7

by Hugo7

The vigoreli looks good.

Much prefer the black to the other colours.

JWolf

by JWolf

serbelo wrote:What will your gearing be?

thinking 49-18

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

You won’t be winning any sprint’s with that gear ratio! :wink:

Looks like a very nice top end urban build, but I agree with others that alu rims would be more in keeping with the look (and will also brake better in the wet, and are less likely to squeal like a bag full of ferrets). Clinchers would make most practical sense.

Oh and re hubs, I belive Paul's flip-flop is in the 290g range which would be a little lighter than Phil's
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Werdna

by Werdna

Pauls website claims 290, but then they have a hub spec chart claiming 247 w/ bolts and washers. At that weight it is lighter than the AC hub I have. One thing to remember though is you can save 50-60 grams on cog+lockring weight by using aluminum.
Oh yeah, and push a harder gear. I started at 48-16,
now I'm riding 53-14. Of course I'm not making it up the 20%+ grades but for anything else it suits me just fine.

JWolf

by JWolf

Are the Paul's as nice a the Phil's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ticou

by ticou

When I'm bimbling ( easy riding) about on mah steel I use a 50x15/16-either or-and it will get up 6% slopes very nicely. Or slightly more. If your getting a sig lighter bike you might go down to 14 or poss 13.