Cannondale SiSL Crank Installation Pointers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

loco2546

by loco2546

NWSAlpine wrote:stock bearings are fine

Nice ! :D ....!

loco2546

by loco2546

NWSAlpine wrote:stock bearings are fine

Any idea on how to find the washer that comes with the crank bolt....? (i have the black bolt) :up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

The man to contact is Starnut. He's the guru on Dale cranks; and Dale just about everything.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if you bought everything new in package, the bolts should come with the washers.
bearing shields, preload spacers, wavy washer usually come packaged with the bb30 bearings and circlips. if you have the bearings already in the frame, the other stuff is available separately.
if youre in the us, check http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

The (2) tiny washers that fit behind the crank arm fixing bolts can be hard to find. Cannondale Experts.com doesn't stock them.
The owner of Lonesome Mountain Outfitters has them for sale.

http://www.manta.com/c/mr53qly/lonesome ... itters-inc

He uses the same co. name on The Bay and he will respond if you message him there.

Here is the Hollowgram Owners Manual / Parts List;

http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/2008_ ... ent_en.pdf

loco2546

by loco2546

skinnywellfed wrote:The (2) tiny washers that fit behind the crank arm fixing bolts can be hard to find. Cannondale Experts.com doesn't stock them.
The owner of Lonesome Mountain Outfitters has them for sale.

http://www.manta.com/c/mr53qly/lonesome ... itters-inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He uses the same co. name on The Bay and he will respond if you message him there.

Here is the Hollowgram Owners Manual / Parts List;

http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/2008_ ... ent_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought it use but in real good conditions . :lol: .... i just contact the seller hopefully he will reply and i can buy the tiny washers :beerchug: once i get all the washers and things i will post a picture of the crank...... :smartass:

pinoymamba

by pinoymamba

I'm still trying to justify purchasing these cranks. I really want them :cry:

loco2546

by loco2546

pinoymamba wrote:I'm still trying to justify purchasing these cranks. I really want them :cry:

:D First i was like that ..! However i saw it on ebay, i bid it and won it .! :D for only $466 including shipping ... the crank was not beat up at all(this baby is new !) i checked the crank more than a 10 times to check for cracks or other defectives things but it was all good ! :mrgreen:

ms6073

by ms6073

skinnywellfed wrote:The (2) tiny washers that fit behind the crank arm fixing bolts can be hard to find.

Especially after you drop one of them on the floor in the workshop. :shock:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

don't worry about trying to justify a set of cranks................or any other high end components. You'll be wringing your hands for forever. Over a span of (3) years I built up (2) new rides and each time I told myself I didn't need Hollowgrams. I didn't. About a month back I bought a set and I finally satisfied that craving I had had for years.

Sweet upgrades include a hot frame, hot wheels and Hollowgrams.

Q:What is it they say about amateur racers running SRM Powertap gear?
A: It's like someone hiring an accountant to tell them how poor they are.

No justification for amateurs running power meters, can't justify it, but if you want it then get it.
Enjoy cycling and the cool gadgets while you still can.

aerogurl

by aerogurl

[quote="skinnywellfed"]Q:What is it they say about amateur racers running SRM Powertap gear?
A: It's like someone hiring an accountant to tell them how poor they are.

No justification for amateurs running power meters, can't justify it,[/quote]

I got my Hollowgram SRM for less than the typical cost of the SiSL cranks alone. Is it ok to use them? I am an amateur...

loco2546

by loco2546

Finally all the washers are here ..! 8)
what i have is this:
1-crankset (arms, spindles, lockring and chainrings and their bolts as well)
2- bolts and their tiny washers
3-wavy washer
4-black spacers
5-cir-clips.

Now lets install this sweetie pie ! :D
Attachments
hollowgrams.jpg

rambotan

by rambotan

loco2546 wrote:Finally all the washers are here ..! 8)
what i have is this:
1-crankset (arms, spindles, lockring and chainrings and their bolts as well)
2- bolts and their tiny washers
3-wavy washer
4-black spacers
5-cir-clips.

Now lets install this sweetie pie ! :D

Good luck and enjoy..... best crankset I have ever used :thumbup:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I know that this has kind of been covered before but i have been unable to find any images of a correctly installed crank so here i go.

I am currently building up a sram red evo. The standard red crank was removed, however i left the standard sram PF 30 BB in. I have now acquired a hollowgram crank with evo lockring. Installing the spindle seemed to require a large amount of force, more than I applied to the sram crank to remove it. I installed both crankarms - seemed easy enough but it seems now to be binding, despite being less than 40Nm on the lockbolts. Looking at the bottom bracket it seems like there is still too much spindle on the NDS whereas the lockring seems to sit on the PF cup. I have one shim next to the wave washer. Have i just not hammered it in far enough - it seems like the NDS was in far enough. I just don't want to crack the BB shell hammering the spindle in.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Photos
Attachments
20121006_190455.jpg
20121006_190501.jpg
20121006_190507.jpg
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

the instruction manual supplement that came with the frame should have info about the spacers/bearing covers that sit on the outside of each of the pressfit bearings, and which ones to use. the ones that were installed from the factory on my frameset seem to have been for the sisl, and since i was installing a red crank, they did not work (every time i put the red crank in and torqued it, it would not budge). i took the existing bearing spacers out of the bearings and replaced them with the others (thin black washer type things with a small lip that fits into the bearing - these came in a ziplock bag with the instructions), and the red crank torqued down perfectly.

my guess is that if your frame originally had the red crank on it, it was installed with the shorter spacers in place, and now that you are putting the sisl crank on, there is extra room. hopefully you have the other (longer) spacers and can give them a shot, otherwise your dealer may have some spares.

hope this helps!