Weenie Kiwis

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So how many of us are there on here? I know of myself, Weeweenieracie and the Theremery but I've seen others pop up. So where are you? Who are you, what do you ride, where do you ride? What are you favourite local rides? Do you race? What do you do? Giz a run down, it would be cool to know.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hey

I'm in the Rocking City, Christchurch. I know Theremy (in fact he was kind enough to lend me a bike a few years ago when I mine was out of action). My bike is only half as WW light as his though - meaning mine's several tads heavier. I only race occasionally and like to ride hills every ride. Not so many km's covered weekly though. Port Hills are somewhat munted after the quakes, but we are lucky that we had so many good hill roads before the quakes that we still have enough to enjoy even now, so long as we dodge the odd rock fall, pot hole, pot hump and slip.

Cheers

GJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

yep another one here... Based in NW Auckland. Just added myself to WW

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Yep...I'm in Chch too. (as of a month ago).
Enjoying the hills (sometimes) - feeling the effects of 120k on Banks Peninsula yesterday though.
Keen to do a bit more racing once fitness recovers from its current parlous state.
On 2 Looks (566 and 586SL) at the moment but looking at a non-weight weenie approved custom steel option to train on...

wineguy

by wineguy

In Auckland here my ride http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55515

Mostly riding Waitaks and Kumeu.

Where abouts are you Derek?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm in Wellington. Great riding here except for the wind and rain but that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Plenty of decent circuits around our way, with great hills and views. Work takes a lot of time so not a whole heap of riding at the moment.
Just finished the cyclocross season here today, tore the rear derailleur off my bike 5 laps into it so that was my season done. Heaps of fun though, so it's back on the road later on.

I've only just started getting into the weenie thing, money is the limiting factor on a lot of it so it's save for the big things, oh and research heaps. But I'm discovering things all the time and people on here are so knowledgeable it's great.

Currently riding a BMC SLR Team Machine with the parts from my old Colnago CLX transferred.

Looking forward to daylight savings so I can get some more Ks in and build towards Rice Mountain Classic later in the year.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I live in Sydney but I'm from Wellington.
Would love to take my 5.3 kg parlee to ride around Wellington some time.
I learned To ride fast around corners riding motorcycles Up and down the rimutaka incline
I love that road :thumbup:

Ricardo

by Ricardo

Hi,
Im in Invercargill.
Not so much cycling these days - work/family committments but do enjoy taking my 5.9kg LOOK 586SL out for a spin in the weekends.
Weekday commutes on my Custom Steelie Foster.
and any time i have left is on the boards at the 'drome'.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Ricardo wrote:Hi,
Im in Invercargill.
Not so much cycling these days - work/family committments but do enjoy taking my 5.9kg LOOK 586SL out for a spin in the weekends.
Weekday commutes on my Custom Steelie Foster.
and any time i have left is on the boards at the 'drome'.

:welcome:

I'd love to have a go on the boards down there. It'd be so much fun and great for cyclocross training too!

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

wineguy wrote:In Auckland here my ride http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55515

Mostly riding Waitaks and Kumeu.

Where abouts are you Derek?

I live in Parakai, so those are my same training grounds. Riverhead/Kumeu & wider area mainly (stay away from watiaks in winter due to road conditions).

Is that 11-speed on your rig (the TCR)?

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

sugarkane wrote:I live in Sydney but I'm from Wellington.
Would love to take my 5.3 kg parlee to ride around Wellington some time.
I learned To ride fast around corners riding motorcycles Up and down the rimutaka incline
I love that road :thumbup:

Just checked out your ride - man oh man that is a seriously thought out machine in stealth black (which I personally dig!)

I'd love to drop my Tarmac to sub 6kg and be happy (well enough to leave it at that!!)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So there are a few more of us on here. Cool! So what are everybodies goals for the new season? Local series? Taupo? Benchmark Series or just some general fun rides and stuff?

Me I'm still tossing up about doing Taupo or not, and if I do, the MTB or the road? Dunno, sooo many people on that road and I'd want to start in the front bunch with people I know but dunno. The MTB course on a cyclocross bike is more appealing at the moment.

I've got a few other local races I want to do down here but mainly it'll be just to smash myself out onthe bike for the fun of it.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Taupo Elite race is my goal - hope to get there with some form! ...And can't wait for the local NHCC crits they're a blast.

My "Nemesis" course is Tour de Ranges, I want to finish that in good shape for the final for once as I always go to hard at start.

Throw in a few stage races (northland, hawkes bay, naki), club nat's in Wanaka & abit of MTB for good measure...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

dmoneysworks wrote:Taupo Elite race is my goal - hope to get there with some form! ...And can't wait for the local NHCC crits they're a blast.

My "Nemesis" course is Tour de Ranges, I want to finish that in good shape for the final for once as I always go to hard at start.

Throw in a few stage races (northland, hawkes bay, naki), club nat's in Wanaka & abit of MTB for good measure...

Cool. That Elite Taupo must be killer starting so damn early. I need my sleep in :lol:

You should come down to Wellington for the annual PNP Rice Mountain Classic in December. Apparently it's a new course this year but I did it for the first time last year and to finish 12km up Admirals Hill was awesome! Felt like being in the tour! Jeremy Vennell just beat Andy Hagan in an uphill sprint finish last year to win the Elite race it was an impressive show of power to watch!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajmit3

by ajmit3

I'm a kiwi myself but went over to the dark side ...

Ps Derek, how is the BMC compared to other bikes you have owned. I'm thinking of getting one ...