Lightweight Autobahn Disc Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ruds

by Ruds

Hey guys,

Does anyone own or have experience with the new (ish) Lightweight disc?

I've only had Zipp 900's in the past and I'm interested changing for a few reasons.

Any reviews would be appreciated :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

Most pros seem to like them enough to rebadge them in their sponsor's livery.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Care to eleaborate the reasons you want to switch? Or are those secret? :noidea:

Ruds

by Ruds

No secret :lol: None of my Zipp 900's have been very round or true. I understand this is normal for discs but they have all been worse than I'd like and my current one is no exception. The side to side movement is also enough to be a PITA with brake setup and if I can I'd like these problems to be lessened or removed entirely.

I would like a stiffer disc.

Weight reduction would also be good but I don't value this more than fixing the above frustrations.

These are just my personal observations on the equipment I've owned or used :thumbup: All my other Zipp wheels are very round.

Are these wheels really this rare among WW?

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

Both my wife and I have been using the LW Autobahn (original graphics) for the last year. Super stiff (no flex for me at 73kg), light (for a standard wheel let along a disc), and makes that lovely go fast wosh wosh noise :D

This is my bike race prepped: https://twitter.com/#!/ryan_sherlock/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FQSMmBhFo

Both of us have won a bunch of TTs them. I was amused to see just how many folks at the tdf and Olympics were debadging/rebadging them. They are all paying for them, so the benefit is there.

Ruds

by Ruds

Thank you for the info Ryan, I've noticed how many people are using them in the pro tour.

Have you worked on the hubs or can you tell me what hubs they use?

:thumbup:

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

The hub is a DT 190S (Steel bearing) as far as I know. The hub body just pops right off - super easy to service (not that I have had to - was just checking what version it was one day).

Another slight benefit - I found that the rim itself was good for gluing and getting the tub straight on. Small thing, but nice. Wheelbag and skewers are nice too with it - reminds me of when you bought an iPod in the 2004 era... just so well packaged.

Zoro

by Zoro

Updates anyone? I ran over my Zipp 900 with my car. It is cracked and actually still ride-able. A bit more out of true, and I need a new one.

I know there is a significant price difference. Do dimples or weight and stiffness make the biggest difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arthurf

by arthurf

Looks like Cadel was on one in todays Giro TT - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ial/306938