Hey hey, returning to carbon.... 695SR finally lands.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cnbky

by cnbky

NO (!) need to take that photo down!

what makes this forum great (other than weight related issues) is that if you search well, you can pretty much find any combination! surely someone in the future will want to know how a spare sram red groupo will look on a prospective master x build, and your photo will be a great source.

IF you want to keep options open, why not get a set of campy chorus or record for the master x and switch the red to the 695, will work great and help keep weight down.

I've been thinking of that exact 695 for a while now, id dress it with di2 & cosmic ultimates.

or campy sr ti with bora 2s...

either way, looking forward! congratulations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Please don't take any of the photos down - that's honestly the first steel bike I've found attractive. "Tradition" be damned!

Beautiful stuff :beerchug:

kgt

by kgt

true wrote:I knew I'd get guys not liking my build but hey... we're all riders and love riding our bikes. What works for some won't work for others, I'll take the photo down soon enough.

You don't have to take the photo down of course but its not about what "works for some" and not for others. Design and aesthetics are taught at universities, schools of design, architecture, fashion etc. etc. Yours would be a 100% "wrong" example of product styling. Sorry...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Wow, I didn't realize someone could build their own bike wrong.

Learn something new every day!

And they say cycling is snobby... :wink:

true

by true

I knew this flame suit would come in handy.....

Point taken guys. Pic is gorneski.

giant man

by giant man

'Look'ing forward to this 695 build very much, and your impressions of the bike as a whole .... what made you go for the SR model btw? lighter weight and stiffness?

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

kgt likes his euro builds and unfortunately is slightly less gracious when things are done 'wrong' by other people. But hey, he's passionate and does have some nice builds of his own!

Looking forward to your Lo- no, there really is no way round this pun... Have you thought about fibre-lyte chainrings? They make them in a number of styles and any custom teeth you like! They're fantastic.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Some tips regarding the 695
I have the exact frameset....I ride with the rotor rings (non aero version)
Also, the plastic film supplied for your crank arms, beware if you stick this to your crank and need to remove it in the future (cosmetic reasons ect) you run a chance of pulling the graphics/clearcoat off. I did, fortunately for me, I didn't pull any of the graphics off.... I had the crankset all re-lacquered which now protects the arms and graphics, graphics on the crank, stem and e-post are not under clearcoat, So beware when cleaning.
Finally, apologies if I'm teaching to suck eggs, remove the crankset, and forks you'll need the regrease these areas....look don't apply to much from the factory. It's reads/sounds really daunting removing these components, however it's really really simple.
Lastly, keep an eye on all your bolts ect from coming loose on your first few rides.....the stiff 695 likes to rattle them loose, I applied ptfe plumbers tape to the chainring bolts which insisted on coming loose every ride.
Enjoy.
See below....
Last edited by Steve_W on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Picture moved to intro.....
Last edited by Steve_W on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

true

by true

Passionate people are good, there is always a place for them :)

I'm not here to teach but to learn, so much info talking to the good guys here, so far I've had a few PM's which has brilliant showing me shit that I wouldn't have known regarding the 695.

@ Steve, damn that build is pretty much what I had in mind bar the DA. Wheels I'll need to source soon enough.

@ Giant Man - Reason for SR? I had a certain budget, I'm currently running Enve 45's on DT240 hubs which I thought were light until I saw the specs of the Lightweights. I've got some super smooth bikes eg Master and Cielo (both awesome steel by the way) and deciding on a Super Rigid was the right thing to do for me in this instance. I'll hit crits this summer and really give it what I got. PLUS it was slightly cheaper then the normal version and that spare change will head towards something LightWeight :)

Ok here is the build.
SRAM RED grouppo, same as what I got on the Master.
Praxis Works rings
Enve 45's (for now) latex tubes and GP4000's
3T LTD Ergonova bars
Sella Italia SLR
Look cages
Speedplay pedals

For my other bikes, I'm not too fussed about the weight, hence they aren't my focus for this site. In true WW form, I want my 695 to be the lightest it can be with the size of my budget. It'll be a work in process and speaking of which, tonight the brakes go on. Let the building begin!

jsinclair

by jsinclair

I thought that master looked cool, put it back up.

I would like to hear kgt explain in design terminology what was wrong with it.

true

by true

Hahaha its all good JS. Seems like it bothered him abit so I'll leave the pic out for now..... Happy to PM you mate :)

Steel is real. Another shot of the Cielo with crankset installed.

Frame weight, not the lightest steel I'm sure. Bearing in mind I had the CK headset installed from the factory.

Fork uncut.

Werdna

by Werdna

I love the skinny tubing. 7900/Campy, doesn't matter as long as it's not Sram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

true

by true

Been so busy riding bikes... I kinda forgot about this post. But here she is, finally complete.

Rides like a dream, seriously fast. Looking forward to riding her in Victoria's 3 Peaks Challenge in 2013 :) Good times ahead!