weapon of choice of olympic mtb

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tiffster

by Tiffster

Most of the bikes ridden on the course don't match the spec given on that website.

For instance many of the men ran XX1 and prototype Red calipers instead of XX but it's not been noticed/mentioned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pkienast

by pkienast

can anybody explain me why the winner is on full suspension?!? Still can't believe it!
Free your mind and your ass will follow

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

pkienast wrote:can anybody explain me why the winner is on full suspension?!? Still can't believe it!

Because he was the strongest, and used to riding that bike.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Gabe

by Gabe

pkienast wrote:can anybody explain me why the winner is on full suspension?!? Still can't believe it!

another case of its not the bike, its the rider.

really exciting race though.

slim83

by slim83

Tiffster wrote:Most of the bikes ridden on the course don't match the spec given on that website.

For instance many of the men ran XX1 and prototype Red calipers instead of XX but it's not been noticed/mentioned.

Do you happen to have pics of the red calipers? Were they using them with XX levers? I would be interested to see how much more the red calipers are slimmed down compared to XX.

kgt

by kgt

Gabe wrote:

another case of its not the bike, its the rider.

+100
FS and way heavier than competitor's bike!

Colin

by Colin

slim83 wrote:Do you happen to have pics of the red calipers? Were they using them with XX levers? I would be interested to see how much more the red calipers are slimmed down compared to XX.

I believe Emily Batty was using the Red calipers at Sea Otter.
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gallery/ar ... es-33806/2

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Cool! Any other pics of prototype pro gear, please post up. I'm eager to hear more about Shimano's carbon tubular XC wheels.

Colin

by Colin

What seatpost was Bury Stander using? His chainguide also looks interesting.

HarryS

by HarryS

Check out the geo on Eva Lechner's Colnago! Head and seat tubes must be around 80 degrees?!

devinci

by devinci

I would have thought more riders would have been using 10spd gripshifts

Not many used them, Kulhavy, Hermida, I saw one other guy, thats it...

djconnel

by djconnel

Also interesting to me us the continued popularity of 26 inch hardtails, which you can't even find in the US anymore (high end). This is true even for GB, which had a dedicated national program. It suggests 27.5's may catch on.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like 26" wheels. Moving to bigger wheels will not change my life or make me a better or faster rider. My inability to win XC races will not change by having bigger wheels or tubular tyres (although I would like to try tubs off road as I now love them on road). Training more will make a bigger difference.

I do like the idea of 584 wheels more than 622 wheels. However that is an asthetic desision and we really should choose our wheels based on performance not asthetics, after all when you are riding it does not matter how the bike looks so long as it performs well.

jooo

by jooo

djconnel wrote:Also interesting to me us the continued popularity of 26 inch hardtails, which you can't even find in the US anymore (high end).

A mass generalisation here, but to me this seems more a reflection on short XC riders, wanting short head tubes on stock geometry frames, not really to do with wheel size. Those who aren't vertically challenged don't seem to ride 26inch wheels anymore :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com